Check Engine Light Flashing

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine Light Flashing

Thumbs up

Hi guys,

It's been quite a while since I've visited the forums. I haven't had too many problems with my Saab over the past year but now that has changed. There are 5 fault codes that my OBD scanner is catching. 2 of them cannot be identified and are probably Saab specific but I"m not sure. Anyway, last night as I was driving home I was playing around with an app on my phone that tests how fast your hits 0-60, finishes the 1/4 mile, etc. I had it pegged and at 71 MPH the Check Engine Light starts flashing, the light is always on now by the way.

This indicates that the engine is misfiring. At least that's what the Saab Manual stated. Just two or so months ago I replaced the Direct Ignition Cassette and all of the Spark Plugs with High Quality, performance level spark plugs. I've had to change my crankshaft position sensor 3 times in the past 2 years or so. I was stranded at Denny's a few weeks ago because my car wouldn't crank. It started fine at home, I ate breakfast, walked out of the Denny's and tried to start my car. All of the lights came on as they usually do when you begin to start your car and then all I get is a "tick" when I turn the key over. I tried jumping the vehicle off (thinking the battery may be at fault), I then tried to find the starter to see if any connections were loose from it as I had to remove it when putting on an Oil Pressure Sensor a while back. Nothing bad there...

So I've had the engine light on with the same 5 codes popping up on my OBDII scanner, my car won't start randomly and now my check engine light is blinking indicating that the engine is misfiring. I've had more trouble with this Saab in the past several months than I have had with ANY other vehicle I have EVER owned in my life. I just need a reliable mode of transportation....

Can anyone offer any insight into this issue? I will assume the codes and descriptions will be desired? Let me know you anyone needs them and I'll post them shortly after.

Thanks in advance!!!

PAinguIN

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

I think you mean you have an older 1998-2003 9-3 and not a sport saloon? If so what spark plugs did you use? It's really important to use the specified NGK plugs for your car. Do not use *any* other plug as they will not work properly. Also, with the ignition cassette that you purchased is it a genuine SAAB item or is it made by another manufacturer? Again it is really important to use only a genuine SAAB ignition cassette as cheaper copies always cause problems.

Hi guys,

It's been quite a while since I've visited the forums. I haven't had too many problems with my Saab over the past year but now that has changed. There are 5 fault codes that my OBD scanner is catching. 2 of them cannot be identified and are probably Saab specific but I"m not sure. Anyway, last night as I was driving home I was playing around with an app on my phone that tests how fast your hits 0-60, finishes the 1/4 mile, etc. I had it pegged and at 71 MPH the Check Engine Light starts flashing, the light is always on now by the way.

This indicates that the engine is misfiring. At least that's what the Saab Manual stated. Just two or so months ago I replaced the Direct Ignition Cassette and all of the Spark Plugs with High Quality, performance level spark plugs. I've had to change my crankshaft position sensor 3 times in the past 2 years or so. I was stranded at Denny's a few weeks ago because my car wouldn't crank. It started fine at home, I ate breakfast, walked out of the Denny's and tried to start my car. All of the lights came on as they usually do when you begin to start your car and then all I get is a "tick" when I turn the key over. I tried jumping the vehicle off (thinking the battery may be at fault), I then tried to find the starter to see if any connections were loose from it as I had to remove it when putting on an Oil Pressure Sensor a while back. Nothing bad there...

So I've had the engine light on with the same 5 codes popping up on my OBDII scanner, my car won't start randomly and now my check engine light is blinking indicating that the engine is misfiring. I've had more trouble with this Saab in the past several months than I have had with ANY other vehicle I have EVER owned in my life. I just need a reliable mode of transportation....

Can anyone offer any insight into this issue? I will assume the codes and descriptions will be desired? Let me know you anyone needs them and I'll post them shortly after.

Thanks in advance!!!

PAinguIN[/b]

I just went outside and plugged the OBDII scanner in to get the codes. Here they are in order....

1.) P0101
    -Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance

2.) P1312
    -No DTC Definition Found - See Service Manual (There are no references to this in the service manual.)

3.) P1334
    -No DTC Definition Found - See Service Manual (There are no references to this in the service manual.)

4.) P0340
    -Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

5.) P1301

And that's all of the codes so far. Last night was the first time that the Check Engine light has blinked and it only did it when I was at full throttle at around 70-80mph. I tried it again once I had reached my house. I took off up the road and punched it to see if I could re-create the blinking and sure enough it did. When this happens you can feel the car hesitate and what not. But if it is an "Engine Misfire" as the Service Manual says even after I've replaced the Direct Ignition Cassette and changed the Spark Plugs (as well as Camshift Position Sensor) then why is this happening? I just broke over 80,000 miles in my Saab. That's not low mileage but not high enough to see consistent issues like this already.

Please Saab pros, help me with this! If it makes any difference, I am a Network Administrator, I've been working with computers and designing networks most of my life. I can lend my services to any and all who may be able to help me resolve this without taking it to the Saab dealership. If I take it there they will charge me thousands and I simply do not have they type of money right now.

Thanks again!!!

Dave

I think you mean you have an older 1998-2003 9-3 and not a sport saloon? If so what spark plugs did you use? It's really important to use the specified NGK plugs for your car. Do not use *any* other plug as they will not work properly. Also, with the ignition cassette that you purchased is it a genuine SAAB item or is it made by another manufacturer? Again it is really important to use only a genuine SAAB ignition cassette as cheaper copies always cause problems.[/b]

Thanks for the reply quinophex,

Yes, I did use an original (brand new) Saab Direct Ignition Cassette. I kept the old one as well in case changing it out was not the issue. I chose what spark plugs to use by going to Advanced Auto Parts and telling them my vehicle specs. They had a couple of different types but I bought the most expensive they had, there was something about the plug where you didn't have to set the gap due to the way they are constructed. They are high performance and I believe they were NGK. Let me see if I can find some evidence of this...

Oh, and no, I do not have a Sport Saloon, the thread said, Saab 9-3 Sport Saloon/ Convertible/ Combi, etc, etc, 2003 - on) Am I in the wrong forum? I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible...

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply quinophex,

Yes, I did use an original (brand new) Saab Direct Ignition Cassette. I kept the old one as well in case changing it out was not the issue. I chose what spark plugs to use by going to Advanced Auto Parts and telling them my vehicle specs. They had a couple of different types but I bought the most expensive they had, there was something about the plug where you didn't have to set the gap due to the way they are constructed. They are high performance and I believe they were NGK. Let me see if I can find some evidence of this...

Oh, and no, I do not have a Sport Saloon, the thread said, Saab 9-3 Sport Saloon/ Convertible/ Combi, etc, etc, 2003 - on) Am I in the wrong forum? I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible...

Thanks![/b]
    Nope, I did not use NGK plugs, I used these Advanced Auto - E3 Premium Special Electrode

But the clear up any confusion, the reason I changed the plugs in the first place was because I was changing the DIC and figured I may as well change the plugs as well. I used the conductivity grease also... Anyway, this was an attempt to fix the car cutting off in the middle of the hwy, not starting randomly, running poorly (i.e. skipping, etc during high performance) It's just a coincidence that the problem with the engine light blinking started last night.

Thanks!

Hi, yes. Wrong forum! Anyhow, replace those plugs with the correct NGK plugs, this is really important, several of the codes you have are caused by DI problems in which case the wrong plugs may be causing the problem. As for the camshaft position sensor it doesn't exist! the car doesn't have one as it's a function of the ignition cassette. What I'd do is start by getting the right NGK plugs fitted and then clear down all the codes and take the car for a test drive and see which come back again. Then report back and we can try to look at those seperately.

Hi, yes. Wrong forum! Anyhow, replace those plugs with the correct NGK plugs, this is really important, several of the codes you have are caused by DI problems in which case the wrong plugs may be causing the problem. As for the camshaft position sensor it doesn't exist! the car doesn't have one as it's a function of the ignition cassette. What I'd do is start by getting the right NGK plugs fitted and then clear down all the codes and take the car for a test drive and see which come back again. Then report back and we can try to look at those seperately.[/b]

Ok, so the plugs really make a difference eh? It's weird because I bought the best plugs that the store offered and they were $4.09/ea. These NGK (Saab OEM) plugs are $14.95ea!

Are these the correct plugs? NGK Spark Plugs - NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs (Saab OEM)

Here is a link to the Advanced Auto Parts site page: Advanced Auto Parts - NGK Laser Platinum Plugs (Saab OEM)

Are these the ones I need to have???

And if so, after I install them, I need to clear out the codes with my OBDII scanner and give the car a good test run returning with the results right?

Moreover, does running 93 octane gasoline make that much of a difference in performance with my Saab? The manual states that 93 octane is recommended and that the engine performs accordingly depending on which type of fuel used. i.e. Lower End Performance=87 octane - Optimum Performance=93 octane.

Do you think this may be causing me any problems? Because I am have been running 87 octane (regular) gasoline in the car for sometime now. Premium is nearly $4.00/gallon around here these days... But I will pay it if it makes all the difference.

Thanks again!

There are a few different possibilities of plugs depending on the specific engine in your car. If you're not sure check the 8th digit of the VIN and corss reference it with the list here

There are a few different possibilities of plugs depending on the specific engine in your car. If you're not sure check the 8th digit of the VIN and corss reference it with the list here[/b]
    Ok, the 8th digit of the VIN on my car is "K" so... K = 2.0 T, B205R.

On another note, I kept the old spark plugs from when I installed the new ones a couple of months ago. Would reinstalling the old plugs be impractical just to see if this fixes the problem? However, the reason I changed the plugs was because of the new DIC I installed (Saab OEM) and thought I may as well install new plugs as well.

Again the new plugs I had installed are here: E3 Premium Special Electrode Spark Plugs

The website says that the plugs are a fit for my car but they are not the OEM NGK plugs which came installed stock from the factory.

Thanks!

Hi, yes. Wrong forum! Anyhow, replace those plugs with the correct NGK plugs, this is really important, several of the codes you have are caused by DI problems in which case the wrong plugs may be causing the problem. As for the camshaft position sensor it doesn't exist! the car doesn't have one as it's a function of the ignition cassette. What I'd do is start by getting the right NGK plugs fitted and then clear down all the codes and take the car for a test drive and see which come back again. Then report back and we can try to look at those seperately.[/b]
    quinophex,

Regarding the Camshift Position Sensor, my Father and I have replaced that part 3 times in the past 2 years. Here is a link to the part and what it looks like Beck Arnley Camshift Position Sensor

If the DIC is supposed to function for this part then why is it even on the car? If this were the case then the car should run without the part even installed correct? As odd as that sounds...

We may be talking about different parts or something but I know for a fact that the CPS does exist on my model only because we have replaced it so many times. In fact, I received the advice to change that component from the forums here. Lol! Perhaps it is not used on the ARC or Linear Engines?

Thanks!

The CPS is a Crankshaft Position Sensor, not Camshaft. The signals from the DI cartridge enable the ECU to work out the firing order and the CPS gives it TDC information.

Anyway, for a B205R you need NGK PFR6H-10. Don't bother with anything else. The DI cartridge was designed for NGK plugs.

The CPS is a Crankshaft Position Sensor, not Camshaft. The signals from the DI cartridge enable the ECU to work out the firing order and the CPS gives it TDC information.

Anyway, for a B205R you need NGK PFR6H-10. Don't bother with anything else. The DI cartridge was designed for NGK plugs.[/b]

Thanks for correcting me there, I wasn't sure if I were right or not. So would I be better off installing the old NGK plugs I have until I can go get some new ones? These things are super expensive for what they are. They look like basic spark plugs but cost more than any other plug I've seen. Strange....

Thank you sir!

Dave

I would install the old plugs for now. I don't think plugs will fix your problem either but it's the first point of fixing any problem is to get the car back to standard.

Also the crankshaft sensor you replaced, did you use that specific part you listed? If so I'd bin it and get the genuine SAAB/Bosch part, there is no way you should have had to replace them so often so it makes me very doubtful of the quality of the one you linked. The original one that comes on the car is usually good for around 100,000 miles.

Anyhow, I'd get the plugs sorted immediately, there is a chance of damaging the DI if you use incorrect plugs, also I'd be tempted to replace the crank shaft sensor with the correct SAAB or Bosch item (not a compatible one!) then clear down the codes and test it. If you do this and then post back here with the new codes we may be able to help.

I would install the old plugs for now. I don't think plugs will fix your problem either but it's the first point of fixing any problem is to get the car back to standard.

Also the crankshaft sensor you replaced, did you use that specific part you listed? If so I'd bin it and get the genuine SAAB/Bosch part, there is no way you should have had to replace them so often so it makes me very doubtful of the quality of the one you linked. The original one that comes on the car is usually good for around 100,000 miles.

Anyhow, I'd get the plugs sorted immediately, there is a chance of damaging the DI if you use incorrect plugs, also I'd be tempted to replace the crank shaft sensor with the correct SAAB or Bosch item (not a compatible one!) then clear down the codes and test it. If you do this and then post back here with the new codes we may be able to help.[/b]
    Thanks quinophex,

I had to order the new plugs from the local parts store. It cost me nearly $60.... : /
    But you have to do what you have to do. And no, the CPS that I linked in the thread was just one that I found online for reference, I can't remember if the last one installed was an original Bosch/Saab part or not. I can check tomorrow to see if I can locate any identifying marks on the CPS but it may be hard if not impossible with it installed. But with a good flashlight and the proper motivation I believe I can get something off of it. Lol!

Thanks again for the help thus far. I will install the new plugs in the morning, clear the codes and see how things go. Once the MIL comes back on I will run a scan and see what codes pop up. I will also list the code that caused the "freeze" or the code that caused the light to come on in this particular instance. I'm not sure which one it was from the list I posted before.

I will post back as soon as possible!

Talk to you all soon,

Dave

Thanks quinophex,

I had to order the new plugs from the local parts store. It cost me nearly $60.... : /
    But you have to do what you have to do. And no, the CPS that I linked in the thread was just one that I found online for reference, I can't remember if the last one installed was an original Bosch/Saab part or not. I can check tomorrow to see if I can locate any identifying marks on the CPS but it may be hard if not impossible with it installed. But with a good flashlight and the proper motivation I believe I can get something off of it. Lol!

Thanks again for the help thus far. I will install the new plugs in the morning, clear the codes and see how things go. Once the MIL comes back on I will run a scan and see what codes pop up. I will also list the code that caused the "freeze" or the code that caused the light to come on in this particular instance. I'm not sure which one it was from the list I posted before.

I will post back as soon as possible!

Talk to you all soon,

Dave
    [/b]
    Ok guys,

I've changed the plugs back to the OEM NGK plugs with the correct gaping and all. I took the car for a quick run up the road and it seems to run a lot better. The engine light is not on yet and went out when I disconnected the battery before installing the plugs. However, I went ahead and ran my OBDII scanner anyway and even though my scanner said that my MIL should NOT be on there were two codes (at first).

1.) P1312
    - No DTC Definition Found - Please see Service Manual.

2.) P1334
    - No DTC Definition Found - Please see Service Manual.

I turned the car off, unplugged the scanner, plugged it back in then turned the switch to the "on" position just as I did before and an extra code came up.

So now there are a total of 3 codes.

3.) P0340
    - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

I have now cleared all of the codes and the MIL is still off. I'm going up town to pick up my cell phone which I had to send in for a warranty repair and I'll be back shortly. Perhaps the light will be on then. I will also give the car a good run in Sport mode to see if I feel any hesitation or if the MIL starts flashing again.

Again, your help is much appreciated.

Dave

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast