9-3 convertible soft top problems

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9-3 convertible soft top problems

2001 9-3 Convertible soft top problems. On opening the hood, when the hood is nearly vertical prior to it folding backwards it stops. The pump can no longer be heard running. By releasing the switch and re-pressing it together with pushing the hood to the rear it continues its operation correctly. On re-closing it works correctly. No fault messages are displayed on the SID. Are there any microswitches that operate at that point in the opening cycle? If so where are they. I have checked hydraulic fluid level and lubricated all pivots. Any other ideas much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: 9-3 convertible soft top problems

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my Saab 93 (2002) I have had 2 full reads on it and am assured there is no problem with any of the microchip sensors. Have you managed to find out what is causing your fault? thanks

Hey, I have the same issue too and couldn't solve it yet. Do you get a message "soft top failure" when it stops? Then the pump stops as well?
    I checked the micro-switch tongue near the pistons - everything OK
    I checked the fluid level - right between MIN / MAX so also OK (but I noticed that the pistons are leaking a little)
    I also found some other posts where it was told that a broken propeller of the pump is a common fault but I haven't found out yet how/if this can be inspected without empty out and disassemble the whole system. Does anyone know more about it? If it would be the propeller, there is a propeller replacement kid available.

We have a 2003 9-3 SE with the same problem. When the top gets up ready to make that first bend, it stops. We must let off lever and click it again, then works. Closes fine, but notice when it gets to that point kinda bumps. I am wondering if maybe a joint is worn out a little. I have not solved this problem. Anyone??

hi everyone just joined the forum, i have a 2001 petrol 2.0. my roof stopped working a couple of months ago was told it was the unit between seat with windows controls bought another one fixed it all working , then out the blue it happened again,changed it would not work messed with the switch and started all ok, but now its stopped again, not sure what has gone wrong , it will activate forward but not backwards to lower it . can anyone advise me what to do

Saabisti

It's most likely the 5th bow microswitch. Likely you'll find that the metal arm has bent and replacing the switch will sort it. Sometimes bending back the arm on the switch will work just fine.

sorry for being a bit thick can you give me a clue where i can find the microswitch
    only the switch unit in the consul i thought was sealed
    many thanks
    rob

Saabisti

5th bow microswitch is pretty easy to find/repair/replace.

When the roof is down open the tonneau cover and look in at c-pillar location on the N/S and you'll see it straight away.

If you cant find it I can take a picture of it tomorrow if it's dry.

hi mate , i have to work out how to get underneath to find the switch, as the roof is stuck up ( i am going to try through the boot )unless you know of any other way
    can you send a picture as confirmation for me , so i know its the correct one.

Saabisti

You'll need the tonneau cover up really.

I'll take a picture in a bit when I get outside.

Saabisti

Saabisti

It's the sensor next to the stop.

thank you for your help and advise , your input was gratefully received ,my son had a mess last night and got it working
    hopefully it will keep working

many thanks
    Rob

Saabisti

You're welcome.

Hay ya, I have a Saab 9-3 (2002) convertible too, I have the same problem, when I operate the opening button, the vertical hood opens up and the soft top doesn't fold back words so the verticle one opens , I literally push manually and then it operates ok, and I personally thinks its slow , could you please help me , how I could fix this..

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast