Best wax or polish

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best wax or polish

Saab Newbie
    Ive just had detailing done on paintwork of black 9-3 convertible, can anyone recomend the best wax or polish to keep the new look shine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

You'll need both a polish and a wax.

As you've just had it detailed, a wax will do you for now. Something like Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection would be a good buy.

Then later on get yourself some Autoglym Super Resin Polish to mask some of the swirls you'll no doubt get and apply the EGP over the SRP.

Saab Newbie
    Thanks for the info, will get some and give it a try, had long look on line, but brain overload lol. Im looking for something that wont swirl the paintwork again.

That's the problem you'll have. There are so many products out there to choose from - that's why I went for the AG stuff, as it's available in Halfords etc and everyone knows the product.

The other problem you'll have is swirls. Best thing you can do is wash the car by hand (don't use the local immigrants) using a decent wash mitt or sponge and the '2-bucket method' (google it). That'll help limit the swirls. The SRP will help to mask some of the swirls etc.

If you want more info, ask on here or get yourself over to the detailingworld forum. Word of warning - car cleaning can get addictive and expensive once you've visited that site.

Its not down to the polish or wax to stop swirling its down to your wash technique. Avoid using a sponge or a short piled wash mitt. Also try and use the 2 bucket method. 1 Bucket for wash solution and one for clear water to rinse in. Then its the actual wash itself, Always start from the top and work your way down. That does not mean do one whole side then the next. You want to progressively move around the car in sections but still like a spiral effect. Wash in straight lines is key to stop swirls.

If your car has been "detailed" depending on what was done...if corrected and not filled then you should only need to wax it.....if filled then you will need to fill it again. There is a sealent on the market from "Professional" use only from G-techniq which will prevent swirling even on the softest paint. I would recommend getting a hybrid wax, something like Dodo Juice Pro wax which will give an excellent finish and good protection.

Saab Newbie
    If your Saab is a metallic black, then something like Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/bl...-paste-wax.html

If your Saab is a solid black, then something like Werkstat Acryllic is ideal for a deep wet look - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/we...c-kit-cat1.html

+1 vote for the 2 bucket method, this is ultra important to getting a good finish, and you need a good deep pile wash mitt/cloth, a chamois (I wouldn't bother with the synthetic ones) and a microfibre cloth.

This is the best stuff I've used to date.

Rinse/wash the worst of the dirt off of the whole car with a deep pile cloth/mitt, then clay the car 1 panel at a time to remove oxidation from the surface, wash with the auto-wash, dry with chamois and if needed the microfibre cloth and then apply very minute amounts of the wax and polish which will level the surface giving a deep shine (Do all of this one panel or workable area at a time, top to bottom).

It lasts for weeks and only requires the occasional wash with the auto-wash to remove the dust accumulation.

It also gave a better shine than my saab had when I bought it. It's a great product and even better, it represents very good value for money.

Since I've been using it I've had people I don't know ask me if they could pay me to do their cars.

D'oh double post - sorry

Saab Newbie

Cool

Thanks to you all for the comments, have bought wash mitt etc and you were right, its expensive and addictive, but worth the cost if it keeps the car as it is.

Re: Best wax or polish

Autoglym should be nice have you done your car wash can you post some pics?
    Last edited by albertreg; 11-24-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Awesome post, thanks! I am a new Saab owner (2006 9-3 Convertible). This is great advice. Thanks!

Saab Newbie

Collinite 476s ; you can get it on ebay; apparantly came out top in Autocar test

Saab Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mb1357 View Post
    Collinite 476s ; you can get it on ebay; apparantly came out top in Autocar test
    +1 for Collinite 476. I'm a member on detailing world, Collinite is easy to use, hard wearing (wax still beads after 2 months) it's reasonably priced, but more importantly leaves a great finish.

I have always used Meguiars wax and though they are not the upper tier brand in terms of wax and polishers, they actually suffice for me. You do not need a high class option anyway just as long as you know what to do and how to take care of it.

And in this case, carefully and strategically scheduling what you have to do with the car would be more than beneficial for you.

Both our Sportwagon and old 9-3 convertible are very light silver, i always use poorboys products there not that cheap and readily available form both the big internet sellers,,easy to use too.

The beading is excellent and there is very little residue left from the Natty Paste wax, Im no detailer but like this stuff

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast