Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Best wax or polish

Tags
polish wax
29K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  aero_fordy 
#1 ·
Ive just had detailing done on paintwork of black 9-3 convertible, can anyone recomend the best wax or polish to keep the new look shine?

#2 ·
You'll need both a polish and a wax.

As you've just had it detailed, a wax will do you for now. Something like Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection would be a good buy.

Then later on get yourself some Autoglym Super Resin Polish to mask some of the swirls you'll no doubt get and apply the EGP over the SRP.

:thumbsup:

#4 ·
That's the problem you'll have. There are so many products out there to choose from - that's why I went for the AG stuff, as it's available in Halfords etc and everyone knows the product.

The other problem you'll have is swirls. Best thing you can do is wash the car by hand (don't use the local immigrants) using a decent wash mitt or sponge and the '2-bucket method' (google it). That'll help limit the swirls. The SRP will help to mask some of the swirls etc.

If you want more info, ask on here or get yourself over to the detailingworld forum. Word of warning - car cleaning can get addictive and expensive once you've visited that site. :D

:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Its not down to the polish or wax to stop swirling its down to your wash technique. Avoid using a sponge or a short piled wash mitt. Also try and use the 2 bucket method. 1 Bucket for wash solution and one for clear water to rinse in. Then its the actual wash itself, Always start from the top and work your way down. That does not mean do one whole side then the next. You want to progressively move around the car in sections but still like a spiral effect. Wash in straight lines is key to stop swirls.

If your car has been "detailed" depending on what was done...if corrected and not filled then you should only need to wax it.....if filled then you will need to fill it again. There is a sealent on the market from "Professional" use only from G-techniq which will prevent swirling even on the softest paint. I would recommend getting a hybrid wax, something like Dodo Juice Pro wax which will give an excellent finish and good protection.

#7 ·
+1 vote for the 2 bucket method, this is ultra important to getting a good finish, and you need a good deep pile wash mitt/cloth, a chamois (I wouldn't bother with the synthetic ones) and a microfibre cloth.

This is the best stuff I've used to date.

Rinse/wash the worst of the dirt off of the whole car with a deep pile cloth/mitt, then clay the car 1 panel at a time to remove oxidation from the surface, wash with the auto-wash, dry with chamois and if needed the microfibre cloth and then apply very minute amounts of the wax and polish which will level the surface giving a deep shine (Do all of this one panel or workable area at a time, top to bottom).

It lasts for weeks and only requires the occasional wash with the auto-wash to remove the dust accumulation.

It also gave a better shine than my saab had when I bought it. It's a great product and even better, it represents very good value for money.

Since I've been using it I've had people I don't know ask me if they could pay me to do their cars.

#14 ·
I have always used Meguiars wax and though they are not the upper tier brand in terms of wax and polishers, they actually suffice for me. You do not need a high class option anyway just as long as you know what to do and how to take care of it.

And in this case, carefully and strategically scheduling what you have to do with the car would be more than beneficial for you.

#15 ·
Both our Sportwagon and old 9-3 convertible are very light silver, i always use poorboys products there not that cheap and readily available form both the big internet sellers,,easy to use too.

The beading is excellent and there is very little residue left from the Natty Paste wax, Im no detailer but like this stuff :D

#18 · (Edited)
If you have some spare cash invest in a snow foam lance and pressure washer. The snow foam is great for lifting dirt off the paint work (Yes the pressure washer does alot of the work but the snow foam looks pro when it's going on).

My Routine:
Snow foam
Rinse with pressure washer.
2 bucket wash with micro fibre mit, top to bottom.
Dry with chamois
Polish - usually every other wash
Wax with AG high def wax
Wheels get foamed and rinsed but washed last then waxed, sealed and the tyres get dressed in Meguiars tyre dressing.

Everyone has their own way of doing it and I'm far from a detailing pro but this method has always given me great results. If the paint doesn't feel smooth its always worth getting a clay bar and then polishing with SRP before waxing. I tend to use a mix of AG and Meg's products with Mirco fibre mits and cloths.

#20 · (Edited)
+1 on snow lance. I had a group buy going which you may want to look I to for here (my forum not me selling it) ;)

Along with the above I love Ziano on mine, some 3M on the glass and gold class megs in 1 of buckets. In fact my garage cupboard is like the car version of a tarts makeup box. The Wookie for body work wash mitt, a merkin for glass and a good alloy brush

#22 · (Edited)
:D

I didn't want to go dropping links all over your site with only a few posts... I hate spammers ;)

We had this deal running and showing as still running though to be fair I haven't checked up on its validity recently. I has been ongoing with us since Jun2009 and last post on it was 2011. Basically someone saying they'd seen the group buy, wanted it and some other kit and they got a better discount. The deets were basically

Autobrite HD Foam Lance with your choice of connector , Strong 1 litre foam lance bottle inc a FREE 500ml bottle of Autobrite Super Snow Foam (dilution rate up to 200-1) for £39.99
You could add more foam / different foam for additional cost. I bought it in 2009 and wash the car every weekend with it and its still working like the day I bought it so can certainly say its good quality. The image on their website now though has a red nossil and the one on mine is black.

Ive seen the vacuum dryers... at first my reaction was my neighbours would all think Im nuts... however, Ive lived here long enough for that to have been confirmed when it comes to cars, so will have a look at that one. I dont have much issues drying as it use the hosepipe to dry ;) and towel off the little bits left. There is enough wax on the car to slide away.

#23 ·
This is the Metro Vac - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/metro-vac-vac-n-blow/prod_1090.html

The power is insane on both vac and blo.

I know that feeling lol, two days later you are still cleaning that car!!!! Erm yes. lol

I haven't managed to hit mine up with a wax coat yet due to time and weather, wanted to get the correction sorted before wax coating.

Have you got one of those hose attachments de-ioniser or something? I look at this and the water in my area is so hard that it would either not work or it would only work about 10 times before needing a replacement.

This it here? - http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/autobrite-hd-foam-lance-and-citrus-snow-foam-combo.html

Or have you got a link directly to that deal, I want to buy one at the end of the month lol.

#24 ·
yeah, that's the one.

The water here in Sheff isnt soft so no issues on the calcium build ups etc. This just fits directly into my karcher gun.

Not sure if you do group buys here yet (not looked TBF) but may be worthwhile you tapping them up for SS. I'll DM you the info now because the group buys on the vagoc need you to have posted a certain amount first before access to the good stuff :) (and yeah, not just idle spam posts lol)

#25 ·
I would go with Bilt Hamber autobalm.

It's not a wax but a sealant and it also masks swirls so 2 for 1.

It leaves an excellent finish and is easy to apply, you can apply it while the car is still wet (ish) and it lasts for a very long time, also if you add extra layers it looks better and better and lasts even longer.

It also has anti corrosion properties so it will help stop any stone chips turning to rust.

Worth a try and relatively inexpensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.