Saab 93 Convertible - phone and connecting phone via bluetooth

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Saab 93 Convertible - phone and connecting phone via bluetooth

Hi all,

We have just bought a Saab 93 Convertible with a 53 plate (seems a newer model than an 03 plate).

Its a great car and I would never have thought of a Saab before and we have all the options including a sat nav, 6 disc cd player, internal phone etc etc but we cannot work the phone or find anywhere that tells us. As I cannot find out how to use the internal phone I thought I would connect my personal phone via Bluetooth. I found and paired the car and phone but it will not connect the two?

Does anyone have any advice for me? I cannot afford a hands free kit at the moment and would use my sat nav as that makes calls if neccesary.

Cheers

Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Somewhere in your car is a box that has a slot for a full size sim card. The previous Bluetooth implementation which you have was designed for connecting a laptop/headset to the car's built in phone.

The only option you will have is to see if you can get a second sim from your mobile provider, or use a pay as you go sim in it and divert your mobile to that when you are in the car.

Somewhere in your car is a box that has a slot for a full size sim card.[/b]
    this box is optional not standard fitment..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Buy cheap pay twice..

Full throttle
    If you have the satnav version you will have the telephone keypad. Unfortunately this does not mean that you have the phone kit installed. As said above, it was an extra. It's a box in the boot that takes and old fashioned credit card sized SIM card. If you have this option, it will be a standalone phone and not something that you can use to link your own phone into.

You could however get a SIM carrier that wold allow you to inset your own SIM in the card reader in the centre of the boot behind the sets.

I believe that there is a bluetooth link, but it only allows you to download the contacts from your own phone to the car phone.

Hi Silo, Aerojon and Sqould,

Thanks for all your help.

There are two boxes in the boot, one is for the sat nav and the other has a phone card in it but the card is very big! I don't suppose anyone knows where you can get a big card from or SIM carrier? I will talk to my service provider later and see if I can get one for the number I have or will get a seperate one. I will probably only use it in emergencies so it would be handy to have it working.

Thanks again

Nick

Full throttle
    You could buy a pay as you go Sim card. The last one I got came on a credit card sized bit of plastic from Vodafone. You would use that "as is". If you use a smaller, more "normal" SIM, you would just press out the middle bit.

Or you can find SIMcard carriers on eBay.

The phone card in the boot is not a 'Big Sim Card'!!When you get a sim from any operator it comes attached inside a credit card sized piece of plastic - Do not break the sim out of this - simply insert the whole thing into the slot on the telephone box in the boot.When you are in the car, put you mobile on divert to your SAABs phone number and bingo, you have an £8k really mobile phone!!And the bluetooth will only allow transfer of contacts.
    You could buy a pay as you go Sim card. The last one I got came on a credit card sized bit of plastic from Vodafone. You would use that "as is". If you use a smaller, more "normal" SIM, you would just press out the middle bit.Or you can find SIMcard carriers on eBay.[/b]
    Oops, you obviously have faster fingers than me!!

The phone card in the boot is not a 'Big Sim Card'!![/b]
    I remember the days when the whole credit card sized SIM card used to go in the back of the phone and there was no option to break out the 'mini'-SIM!

If you think about it, the Saab phone system was designed around 2000-2002 when mobile phones were not as common place as they are now, hence its design is pretty antiquated by current standards.

Thanks for your help Sqould and Nigsy!

I will now go out and get a cheap pay as you go and have the most expensive phone that I have ever owned! At least it allows me the option of transfering numbers to the car.

Thanks

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements