Radio antenna stays down

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Radio antenna stays down

Saabisti
    Hi all. It must be the effect of the heavy frosts we have had last winter but my antenna no longer gets out of its housing. The motor appears to go through its motions but the stick stays put. If I pull on it, it comes out effortlessly and goes back in the same way.

Is there a rapid fix for this or a costly repair ahead?

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

There is a plastic ribbon with teeth attached to the antenna. A gear fits into these teeths and enables up/down movement. Common cause of erroneous behaviour is stripped teeth, but you can't replace only the ribbon, but have to do the entire aerial stem instead (though not expensive). Or pull it out, disconnect the motor and leave it that way forever after.

Saabisti
    Thanks Boris.

Good news is that you can buy just the antenna with new plastic ribbon on ebay for £10.99. I had mine go and brought a black version. Apparently you can do it from the outside but I took the side lining out undid the circular gear cover and threaded the new one in. Perfect again!

Also fixed an annoying rattle in the back as the soundproofing in the side had come loose.

search for saab 93 electric aerial on ebay

cheers
    G

Saabisti
    Just to keep everyone in the loop. The plastic ribbon had snapped inside the motor. Got a new antenna unit from Ebay. Had to take the whole thing out (partially removing the CD changer), dismantle the motor to clear the broken bit (very easy one nut job), feed new plastic ribbon back inside and put the whole thing together. Works perfect and radio mast is now so silent coming out and in again......

the ribbon looks very similar to a thing in maplins,forgot the proper name but it in the little moyors section for remote control cars.
    Another thing,you seen them things the kids have were they spin real fast my pulling a plastic line with teeth?all I know is ben ten lol the pull the plastic thing it spins the disk and the disc flys off,like them helicopter things that you pull the pull cord,they look exactly the same,take yours in and see if it same size,you can go for ben ten,spider man,theres a few,dont forget to let the kids have a go ;-) otherwise maplins for about 50p mate.
    Its with the remote control motor gears and stuff ;-)

8. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements