Aero intermitant cold start problem

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Aero intermitant cold start problem

Saab Newbie
    Hi

My 9-5 Aero (2001) has about 120,000 miles on the clock and over the last week has developed an intermittent starting problem. I dont think it's the CPS sensor as I have no hesitation ever once it starts and the problem is not one of hot starting but actually seems worse from a cold start (eg after being left over night). It also used to start without any throttle but now seems to need a smidge of throttle to get it to start at all. I changed the spark plugs and that seemed to help for a few days but this morning my wife couldn't get it to start at all. 15 minutes later I tried it and it started first time. Wondering if it's likely to be the DI cassette or the fuel pump or something else ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Newbie
    More info. It's still doing this but there is a pattern. First thing on a morning it wont start immediately but give it one churn on the starter and let it sit for 1 minute then try again and it starts immediately. A couple of weeks ago I had the brake lines redone and they had to drop the fuel tank a bit to get at them where they had corroded. I am thinking that this is a fuel issue, could a nipped fuel line or a disturbed fuel pump cause this ? You can hear the fuel pump winning when you turn the ignition on.

Motor Mouth
    How old is the battery? They do funny things when failing, like lighting the dash up like a christmas tree!

Saab Afficionado
    It does sound fuel related. Have you tried just turning the ignition on and listening to the fuel pump priming the system? It should pump and then normally stop after about a second (and then start again when the engine starts). Try switching the ignition off/on a few times before starting and see what happens.

Hi

I was going to create a new post today with the exact same symptoms - then I saw yours. Mine struggles when cold too - but is totally fine in every other way & starts no problem once it's warmed.

I recently replaced my CPS after a failure & the fuel pump was replace by the main dealer last year after a failure. This hesitation when starting has only started after I changed the CPS. I read about air-leaks, splits in hoses etc, but I'm not sure where to start!

I'll post an update if I find anything...

Bruce

Did you remove the old o-ring gasket on the CPS when you replaced it?

Yup! Removed it before putting the new one in. Did everything by the book & even removed the front section of exhaust to get into the screw holding the CPS in place. Also - the battery seems fine - tried the charger on it a few times just in case...but it's fully charged.

Having said that - I went out tonight, (having not moved it since last night) & it started without a problem! Hmmmm!?!

Is the check engine light on at all (does it come on when you turn the ignition on before you try and start the engine?) that you need to use some throttle to make it start is very very odd.

It comes on then goes off again like the others...it's weird. It is getting better though!

Looks like I spoke too soon! Started it up this morning and now the check engine light is back on!

Saab Afficionado
    If the CEL is on there will be code stored.

I've booked it into the Indie on Tuesday. It's due an MOT & service around now anyway. Hopefully it'll be an 'easy' fix!

Quick update;

Got the car back from the indie today - they diagnosed a faulty DI cartridge. I've got a spare in the garage at home, so I'll swap them over & see if that cures it. Also need a new breather system - but that's for another day!

Cheers
    Bruce

Saab Newbie
    Well I finally got to the bottom of this. It was the fuel filter ! It was corroding and I finally noticed when it left a petrol mark when my wife was talking to someone with teh car ticking over. It wasn’t starting as it was de-pressurising the system when left standing for a n hour or so. New filter installed and all is well now.

16. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements