She cranks well but does not bite !

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: She cranks well but does not bite !

Saabisti
    Hi all. Convertible 93 LPT with just 60k miles on the clock, new top of the range plugs etc. last summer. Worked fine until a couple weeks ago when it got "very slightly" more difficult to start but nothing to write home about (longer cranking before it fired)....until this morning (was taking my wife to the railway station)...cranked the car and absolutely nothing in the firing department (similar symptoms as in the old models as if the carburettor had flooded...crank crank crank crank....). Plenty juice in the battery but after 10 attempts I gave up and called her a taxi.....

Any idea please?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado
    When you say "top of the range plugs" did you use NGK of the correct type and gap?

Saab seem very fussy about the correct make and version of plug being used as the ignition cassette uses the plug characteristics to measure / monitor engine functions and other types have been known to shorten the life of the ignition cassette.

It sounds possible that your ignition cassette has failed. Can you borrow one ffom somewhere to test? Other possible causes are the fuel pump, can you hear it priming when you turn the ignition on?

Saabisti
    Hi DSM.....Yes the plugs are NGK all set correctly. Just been out and I can't hear the fuel pump getting primed. You mention the cassette......I reported a problem last summer that forum members highlighted as being very likely the cassette (foot down, burst of power, revs and speed go up and then BANG.....a miss somewhere as if I had hit a pothole........

I will borrow a cassette (red top or black as I was told both will work if the original was red). Many thanks.

Saab Afficionado
    How did you get on?

Hi mate - have had similar problems with my car. have just found that taking the connector from the Di unit, giving it a quick shake & blowing away any dust from inside it, then re-connecting might do the trick. After thinking i'd gone through 4 Di's it seems that this works for me. Worth a try as its a damn sight cheaper than a new Di.

Saabisti
    How did you get on?[/b]
    My mate Dave (works for Saab) had a look at it whilst I was away and he must have tried a spare cassette that does not appear to have worked....(I was away on bizness). Got back tonight, car still on the drive and won't start....he's got a cover off from somewhere but too late to ring him to find out what is wrong.. Thanks for asking, will let you know.

Saabisti
    That's it, it's all sorted. The crankshafr sensor had given up the ghost and also damaged the cassette. Both now changed and car is back on the road....£120 for the sensor !!!!!!!

Full throttle
    How much!!!!

It's gone up a lot, but still cheaper online

Saabisti
    That's the baby but I got the 2nd hand cassette included in the price so I am not complaining..

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements