Rear Wiper switching

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Rear Wiper switching

Saab Junior
    I have got a 1992 900 turbo s. It is fiited with a rear wiper, although I can not see how it is opperated. I also have a another 1992 turbo s which is fitted with a rear wiper, this however has a large button on the dash with a wiper logo on it. The first car has switches for hazard warning lights, rear mister, air con and recycle in the center and rear fogs mounted on the right, Hence there is no space for a switch for the rear wiper.

Is the rear wiper opperated from one of the stalks or has some of the other equipment been retro fitted at the expence of the rear wiper?

Thanks

Martyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Hi Martyn

can't help you with your query but do you happen to have a spare wiper? Some ar**hole ripped the rear wiper off mine.

Thanks
    Adrian

Saab Junior
    Hello Adrian

Have not got a spair my second car has the swiching but no wiper or motor just blanked. Try Ebay and also Ebay US loads of parts for 900 on there.

Martyn

Are you saying it doesn't work at the moment and you want it to or that it does work but you don't know how (if the latter what switch operates it?)

I have got a 1992 900 turbo s. It is fiited with a rear wiper, although I can not see how it is opperated. I also have a another 1992 turbo s which is fitted with a rear wiper, this however has a large button on the dash with a wiper logo on it. The first car has switches for hazard warning lights, rear mister, air con and recycle in the center and rear fogs mounted on the right, Hence there is no space for a switch for the rear wiper.

Is the rear wiper opperated from one of the stalks or has some of the other equipment been retro fitted at the expence of the rear wiper?[/b]
    I think the rear wiper was only ever a dealer-fit accessory, so for cars with aircon and no blanking switches, it could've been operated anyhow. No sign of a hidden switch anywhere that's been removed? If not, it might be time to try tracing the wiring back.

Saab Junior
    Doesnt seem to work but cant work how it would be opperated anyway

Doesnt seem to work but cant work how it would be opperated anyway[/b]
    It might be tied in to the front wash - or maybe whoever fitted it never got as far as the wiring... Might even be that it just happened to be on a used tailgate...

hi i have a 1993 lpt 3dr with rear wiper.it had a/c switch in dash but no a/c on car,mine wipes few wipes and squirts water when front wash is used.there are wires linked into stalk wiring near column.i have have removed the a/c switch and found the original rear wash connector in the dash,black plug i think and removed the bypass loop and fitted a rear wash switch in the dash from a donor car and it now washes /then wipes ok

Saab Junior
    hi i have a 1993 lpt 3dr with rear wiper.it had a/c switch in dash but no a/c on car,mine wipes few wipes and squirts water when front wash is used.there are wires linked into stalk wiring near column.i have have removed the a/c switch and found the original rear wash connector in the dash,black plug i think and removed the bypass loop and fitted a rear wash switch in the dash from a donor car and it now washes /then wipes ok[/b]
    I've just managed to get a wiring diagram of the rear wiper on the Saab Central Forum. Pop over there, it may help.
    The wiring you have for the dashboard button on your other Saab should be there on your problem one as well. Saab generally used the same looms on all cars. I have all the AC & seater rheostat connections on mine (tucked up behind the dash) but not the actual devices.
    This only helps you, of course, if someone's added the wiper & not completed the installation, or mucked around with the wiring.
    Oh yeah, check the water container, see if it has the extra pump for the rear windscreen.

Steve E

The rear wiper was a dealer fitment. The wiper is/was activated by a button on the dash to the right of the cigar lighter. This space however is/was where the air conditioning button is located so on cars fited with air conditionong the rear wiper is/was wired in with the windscreen washers. The strange thing is though is that on cars with air conditioning the wiring for the rear wiper is still stuffed in at the back of the airconditioning button.

Saab Junior

Hello

Thanks for all your help.
    I have found that it can be opperated by pulling the stalk forward as if to squirt windows whilst the front wipers on full,it then gives about 3 wipes then stops. Motor might need a little attention to get it going perfect.

Msrtyn

I have found that it can be opperated by pulling the stalk forward as if to squirt windows whilst the front wipers on full,it then gives about 3 wipes then stops. Motor might need a little attention to get it going perfect.[/b]
    Sounds like it's doing what's intended - wash/wipe/stop, as you say, like the front.

14. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements