Snow chaos again - Just Use Winter Tyres! - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow chaos again - Just Use Winter Tyres!

However, it's usual to go down a wheel size and fit taller tyres. Not sure why.[/b]
    I believe it's becasue the longer, thinner patch gives more directional stability than a shorter, wider one, and also a taller tyre will flex more than a wide one for the same weight/contact area, which aids grip.

Camskill are a lot cheaper than mytyres in my experience.

The recommended winter tyres from Saab for the 9-3 are 195/65/15 91 Q, 205/55/16 91 or 93 Q and 205,50/17 93 Q.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado
    I believe it's becasue the longer, thinner patch gives more directional stability than a shorter, wider one, and also a taller tyre will flex more than a wide one for the same weight/contact area, which aids grip.[/b]
    Narrower tyres are able to 'dig down' to the actual road surface (where the rubber edges or studs [on studded tyres obviously] can actually grip) compared to wider tyres which sit 'on top'. Have a look at a few pictures of WRC cars on the Swedish Rally (traditionally the only winter rally apart from the newer Norwegian Rally) and you'll see they use very narrow tyres compared to all other rallies. It makes the cars look a bit 'odd' but that's what works in those conditions.

Saab Nut
    I'm simply loving this snow.....especially when I tow people out when they get stuck.......Without doubt, having winter tyres has been one of the best purchases for me. It makes driving safer and I still have a modicum of performance and control of my Aero in poor conditions.

IMHO, I think there is a case for making winter tyres mandatory in the UK when I see so many people drive so dangerously on wet weather/summer tyres.

What do you winter tyre users think?

What do you summer tyre users think??

Regards,
    Mark

What do you winter tyre users think?[/b]
    I just wish all the cars on summer tyres (esp 4wd) would simply stay off the roads and leave me to make reasonable progress...

Saab Anorak
    There's a good article on the AA website - Mark E will particularly like the bit about fines in Germany!!

I'd love to have a set of winter tyres for my Aero, but the cost of an extra set of rims is hard to swallow. My wife has all season tyres on her X-trail, which have been great the last few weeks - though definitely not as good as proper winter tyres.

Saab Afficionado
    I just wish all the cars on summer tyres (esp 4wd) would simply stay off the roads and leave me to make reasonable progress... [/b]
    Agreed! Especially the ones sitting there spinning their wheels polishing the ice even further for the next driver to enjoy .

I've now got some Continental WinterContact TS830 tyres on order. I read a review of winter tyres in Swedish magazine 'Motor' (published by the major Swedish motoring organisation). Of the continental-type M+S winter tyres only those stood out as any good. They even came out better than several nordic-type winter tyres (but not studded ones). The review didn't include the Vredestein tyres unfortunately.

I ordered them from mytyres.co.uk and hope they'll turn up by the weekend (can't wait). Knowing my luck they'll turn up as the last of the snow disappears . I've arranged fitting by my local tyre fitter who couldn't get hold of the tyres at all.

Regarding making winter tyres mandatory, I wouldn't be against that at all. Mind you, you'd still get the idiots who would then think they can drive as if it was dry doing stupid things. You still need to give icy roads respect.

Motor Mouth
    I'd love to have a set of winter tyres for my Aero, but the cost of an extra set of rims is hard to swallow.[/b]
    You only need a set of 16" alloys from the 97-01 model SE, no-one wants them so they're cheap!

Motor Mouth
    IMHO, I think there is a case for making winter tyres mandatory in the UK when I see so many people drive so dangerously on wet weather/summer tyres.

What do you winter tyre users think?

What do you summer tyre users think??

Regards,
    Mark[/b]
    I agree. People just don't realise how much better winter tyres are when conditions are bad, even just wet, until they've used them. As someone else pointed out, they aren't even an additional expense except the first time - you're just wearing different rubber for some of the time so it all lasts longer.

Saab Nut
    Dear Mods

Think at some stage this thread should be pinned simply as describing the virtues and safety aspects of winter tyres......don't think there's been any negatives voiced by anyone who actually uses winter tyres

Regards
    Mark

Motor Mouth
    Dear Mods

Think at some stage this thread should be pinned simply as describing the virtues and safety aspects of winter tyres.[/b]
    ...again! We go round it every winter.

Sod the winter tyres.

Just put my 02 Aero auto in winter mode and have been out playing on some hilly roads that are covered in sheet ice. No other cars were getting anywhere.

Absolutely fantastic!![/b]
    My 03 Aero with 300bhp Maptun etc Auto was the same, flappy paddle allows you to pull away in 1st, 2nd and 3rd while giving you engine braking to slow down, best Auto for snow driving I have ever owned even with 235 45 18 tyres and wheels on it....... much better than the trip I had in my wifes 04 9-3ss 1.8t manual with 225 45 17 tyres and wheels which she managed to slam sideways into the curb just behind me leaving home for work on Thursday morning!!!

Saab Anorak
    I'd love to have a set of winter tyres for my Aero, but the cost of an extra set of rims is hard to swallow. My wife has all season tyres on her X-trail, which have been great the last few weeks - though definitely not as good as proper winter tyres.[/b]
    I have Vredestein Wintrac Extreme on my 2.8 Aero wagon, very secure feeling and I'm extermely glad to have them. I don't have a spare set of rims and just have the local garage swap summer to winter tyres over at 10pounds a corner it will take 4 - 5 years for even second hand rims to pay for themselves.
    Living in the North of the UK I can see a point in making winter tyres mandatory locally - might be something the Scottish Government will do - but further South I'm not so sure. People just need to use that all too rare commodity, common sense, and drive to the road conditions and their level of grip.

I have 17" wheels on my 07 9-3 TiD convertible and want to to get a 2nd set for putting winter tyres on.

I have found another cheap set of wheels but they are also 17's, so can I check that the winter tyre size recommended for OEM 17" wheels is 205,50/17 93 Q? My current tyres are 225 45 R17 94W extra load rated. Sorry for the questions but my tech knowledge is useless on wheels and tyres and i dont want to end up spending on tyres that dont fit

Full throttle
    You may struggle to get a 17 inch tyre less than H rated. The recommended winter tyre size on the 9-3 with 17 inch wheels (apart from the 2.8 engine) is still 225/45 17 but in 94Q Extra Load rating. But anything higher than Q rating (100mph) will do. H is 130 mph.

I'm currently running W rated 18 inch tyres on my 9-5. They work fine in snow. Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme.

You may struggle to get a 17 inch tyre less than H rated. The recommended winter tyre size on the 9-3 is still 225/45 17 but in 94Q Extra Load rating. But anything higher than Q rating (100mph) will do. H is 130 mph.

I'm currently running W rated 18 inch tyres on my 9-5. They work fine in snow. Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme.[/b]
    thanks - thats very helpful

thats actually better then, as there are much cheaper Hankook winter tyres in that size.

I just found these on mytyres, and my trusted local indep tyre fitter recommended Hankook winters IIRC, and runs them on his own van I saw today. He just cant get any more until next summer now though as they are sold out EVERYWHERE! At £100 a corner delivered they look just what I need. My road has been impossible to get out of for 5 weeks in the last 12 months, during every snow/ice spell we've had so I hope these will help with that as well as general cold weather safety.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast