Snow chaos again - Just Use Winter Tyres!

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow chaos again - Just Use Winter Tyres!

Saab Nut
    Has anyone noticed how the country always grinds to a halt when the first bit of snow appears. Well fortunately for me, my winter wheels/tyres went on first week in December and will remain there until the first week in April.

Benefits
    Driving is easy in snow and icy conditions
    I can drive up my road which is on steep bank without any problems
    Keeps my other wheels clean from the salt
    I can accelarate quite quickly
    I can brake quite hard
    I can turn corners easily
    I can drive down snow laden roads just for the sake of it if I want without worrying too much about getting stuck

Cons
    I have to change my wheels - but get to check the brakes so not really a con!
    I still get stuck behind those who don't use winter tyres
    Funny looks when I go past people who get stuck - but this is more like a pro/benefits

Facts and figures
    More than 50% accidents occur in the fist few months of winter due to skidding
    If the ambient temperatures are below 7degC, winter tyres perform better

Regards,
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado
    Agree entirely with this.

To this end, I managed to get hold of a complete set of wheels earlier this year ready to fit some winter tyres. Unfortunately the family finances have taken a bit of a bashing so I'm still on normal summer tyres. Following the unexpected snowfall yesterday afternoon we had a fabulous (not) journey home from a bit of shopping having parked at my office. The normal 10-15 minute journey took two hours and was a bit scary at times (got one fairly steep downwards hill and one not so bad uphill). Should have taken the wife's c900 which is brilliant in the snow (even with normal tyres). Mind you, as you say, we'd have got stuck behind the other traffic anyway.

What winter tyres have you got fitted? I need some to fit 16in wheels for a 9-5 estate.

Cons
    I still get stuck behind those who don't use winter tyres[/b]
    Tell me about it... the complete inability of folk to drive according to the conditions astounds me. 15-20mph all the way to work this morning, even when the roads were clear. And don't get me on the idiots who moved over to block me as I was using lane 2 on the dual carriageway

I've had Vredestein Wintrac Extremes on my car the last couple of winters. Although they do have full M&S rating I reckon there is a trade off towards performance i.e. they are more performance oriented than ultimate snow grip but they do very nicely throughout the cold months.

They're available in 225/45/17 XL H and V.

yet another benefit of winter tyres is the fact that their use extends the lifespan of summer tyres. can't imagine living without them in my area. funny though when I started my driving career back in the early 1980s nobody was using them and I wouldn't say there were more weather-related accidents in wintertime.

Regular Saab Guy
    Totally agree with this - I used to live in Quebec - talk about snow! its law now that theyre fitted. Costco here were pushing them as sensible thing to do. By the way its not just for snow theyre good for - rain, cold, ice etc is all aided but they dont help with the idiot in front of you!

Saab Nut
    Agree entirely with this.

To this end, I managed to get hold of a complete set of wheels earlier this year ready to fit some winter tyres. Unfortunately the family finances have taken a bit of a bashing so I'm still on normal summer tyres. Following the unexpected snowfall yesterday afternoon we had a fabulous (not) journey home from a bit of shopping having parked at my office. The normal 10-15 minute journey took two hours and was a bit scary at times (got one fairly steep downwards hill and one not so bad uphill). Should have taken the wife's c900 which is brilliant in the snow (even with normal tyres). Mind you, as you say, we'd have got stuck behind the other traffic anyway.

What winter tyres have you got fitted? I need some to fit 16in wheels for a 9-5 estate.[/b]
    Yokohama W Drive in V rating. even better with snow chains!! Good price last year and wearing well considring all of the driving in the alps last year. In Europe to keep the m&s classification the min depth is 4mm so might have to get new for next year? Have to monitor wear this winter

regards
    Mark

Saab Afficionado
    yet another benefit of winter tyres is the fact that their use extends the lifespan of summer tyres. can't imagine living without them in my area. funny though when I started my driving career back in the early 1980s nobody was using them and I wouldn't say there were more weather-related accidents in wintertime.[/b]

Probably a few more cars on the road now? But it is amazing just how good snow tyres are. In Switzerland they don't seem to bother with chains any more and just fit steel wheels with snow tyres. Only point I would make about extending the lifespan of summer tyres, is that tyres should not be used when they are more than 6 years old. See: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Only point I would make about extending the lifespan of summer tyres, is that tyres should not be used when they are more than 6 years old. See: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html[/b]
    Agree. I'm rather talkin' about three years on summer tyres 'stead of two, which is an average I get on my 9-5 3.0 TiD.

Saab Newbie
    Sod the winter tyres.

Just put my 02 Aero auto in winter mode and have been out playing on some hilly roads that are covered in sheet ice. No other cars were getting anywhere.

Absolutely fantastic!!

Tell me about it... the complete inability of folk to drive according to the conditions astounds me. 15-20mph all the way to work this morning, even when the roads were clear. And don't get me on the idiots who moved over to block me as I was using lane 2 on the dual carriageway [/b]
    To quote Churchill... Oohhh yyeeesss!!!

Regular Saab Guy
    Well, we finally got four Nokian WR G2 215/55 R16 97H XL tyres from mytyres.co.uk just before the cold snap delivered for £83 each, seemed a very good price to me for tyres that get very good reviews, even compared to the perhaps more pricey Vred's and Michelin Alpines that also get sound reviews.

These went on the 16" rims I picked up months ago, and they work a treat: a very 'grippy' feel to them (hard to define or describe, but noticeable). Not gone huge distances, but definitely feel 'more secure' in this cold weather. Pre-christmas was icy round here (like everywhere), and never even a hint of spin. Perhaps a little more rolling noise, but not massive. I'm wondering whether fuel consumption will plummet: feels like I am suctioned to the road (okay, slight exaggeration !), must need more power/fuel to move along !

Spent a happy few hours yesterday washing the 'summer wheels' for storing away now (& perhaps even getting refurb'd before Easter, get rid of 5 years of mild scrapes....or is it worth it.... !)

Yes, I saw the other thread around their fitter guide: to be honest most tyre places will fit for around £10-£15 a corner (my friendly local garage round the corner did all four for us at £30....he got a box of pre-Christmas chocs for that price !). I can definitely relate to the irritation in the person writing that thread, but it should be reasonably easy to find another fitter: mytyres are a cheap online tyre distributor, they cannot reasonably keep 24x7 watch on their fitters: if someone signs up with them at the start of a year, I imagine they remain on their list until at least the end of the year, regardless of whether the fitters change their prices or go bust, etc, during the year!

cheers
    Mike

[mod edit] Please use the Classifieds section for offering items for sale

I have just posted a seperate post to the 92 forum as mine is dire in winter conditions. Far , far worse than our old KA! Mine has the thin sports tyres. Is it possible to change this type of car to winter tyres? Does the whole wheel need to come of or just the tyre its self?

Once changed do you keep the summer ones and then replace them in summer?

Sorry if this is a naive question, I am interested in the cars but prefer to leave the serious stuff to those who can do it properly!

[/quote]
    Yes, I saw the other thread around their fitter guide: to be honest most tyre places will fit for around £10-£15 a corner (my friendly local garage round the corner did all four for us at £30....he got a box of pre-Christmas chocs for that price !). I can definitely relate to the irritation in the person writing that thread, but it should be reasonably easy to find another fitter: mytyres are a cheap online tyre distributor, they cannot reasonably keep 24x7 watch on their fitters: if someone signs up with them at the start of a year, I imagine they remain on their list until at least the end of the year, regardless of whether the fitters change their prices or go bust, etc, during the year!

[mod edit] Please use the Classifieds section for offering items for sale
    [/quote]

Yes plenty of fitting stations around but I am running low on the fronts and I am up the lakes on the 2nd with no chance now of getting the tyres back and fitted before the 2nd

Like the sound of putting the winter tyres on , I currently have 225 45w 17 conti's on a 93 1.9TiD ,how low do you go for the winter tyres and wheels or what would be the acceptable replacement size (i.e205/65 R15 94 Q) as I'm trying to keep the cost down.

I can purchase any Pirelli's at a discount what is everyone's opinion of them?

Thanks.

Full throttle
    Pirelli Sottozero get good reviews, but I've not used Pirelli.

HAve a look at the winter tyres on a site like www.mytyres.co.uk or www.camskill.co.uk

You can get most sizes of tyre in winter grade.

However, it's usual to go down a wheel size and fit taller tyres. Not sure why.

But, I have W speed rated winter tyres, I think this may not be the optimum in that the rubber is probably a touch too hard? Maybe a H or V will be a bit grippier? Don't know though until I try. The W are good but I get a bit of wheelspin in the dry and damp.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast