Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

spark plug gap

Tags
gap plug spark
9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tariq 
#1 ·
hi.
does anyone know what the plug gap on my 1996 cs9000 turbo is.
i have got a maintainance disc for the pc but it only shows the 2.3and the 3.0.
my direct injection unit burned out yesterday, so i thought i would give the plugs a clean as the injection unit is off.
the gaps on the plugs seem very big.
got about 2 to 3 mill gaps on them.
cheers colin.

#6 ·
the gap cant be adjusted as its set and if you try they break down ( tungsten ) if you bend/set the gap it will break due to heat they are pre set[/b]
That's not 100% correct. The plugs are indeed preset (at 1.1mm, which will work), but it is at the upper end of the recomended gap range. However there is absolutely no problem with re-gapping them. I've done it many times.

The use of 6 or 7 plugs is marginal on stock engines; 6 is optimal for LPTs but 7s won't hurt.

#7 ·
OK had the same problem myself, DI cassette failed. Got on for £90 from ebay. Reconditioned with 12 month warranty.

Plugs as recommended for MY 1997 saab 9000 LPT (as per owners manual page 116)

4 cylinder injection engine NGK BCPR 6ES
Turbo NGK BCPR 7ES

Electrode gap
4 cylinder engines 1.0mm (+0.1/-0.2)

I am running stage 2 T5suite custom map with max boost of 1.25 bar.

I use NGK BCPR 7ES gapped at 1.0mm with no probs, 0.9 is fine also. When replacing the DI cassette dont forget to grease the boots with dielectric/silicon grease and also allow the car to sit for 1 hour with the new cassette in to allow the oil in DIC to settle.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.