Vacuum hoses

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Vacuum hoses

Motor Mouth
    Part of my order from Elkparts was 2 metres of new vacuum hose and now all the hose on the engine has been replaced apart from the bit from the inlet manifold which seems to vanish into part of the injector rail, as it looked quite new and in good condition and I'd mis-cut one of the other lengths.

I decided to replace it all because the line from the throttle body to the three way valve on the bulkhead kept blowing off and when I handled any of the hose it left my hands covered in black rubber.

So its all done and everything seems to be so much smoother, the odd dip in power at 2.5K has gone and I can even hear the quiet hiss of the dump valve which seems to be much cleaner and well defined (i.e. its hiss rather than hhisssss) )

So just a little note to say that its worth the little expense and the short length of time it takes to do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

I've been thinking of doing this - like you i've had the odd dip in power ('98 9-5 2.3tSE 109k).

Any chance of some pics of which hoses you replaced ?

Motor Mouth
    Sure, I'll grab a couple at the weekend. Basically its all the hoses round the back involving the throttle body, the three way valve, the funny thing on the water pipes to the heater matrix and the long one to the dump valve.

Motor Mouth
    And here we go

The oil staining around the TB worries me, and I have it on mine too. This is 'normal' I expect. How exactly is it getting on the outside of the TB and is it coming from the air inlet pipe?

Any ideas?

Motor Mouth
    I think mine came from a split breather hose and I've just never washed the throttle body off

It can also come from the crank case ventilation kit if it hasn't been replaced the oil can be dragged past the oiltrap and re-cycled in through the throttle body, from what I have been told.

I just replaced mine, plus all vacuum hoses too, in the last few weeks and indeed the area has signs of drying up.

Stephen, what diameter hose did you order? and what was the cost?

Thanks in advance

Saab Afficionado
    Stephen, what diameter hose did you order? and what was the cost?[/b]
    Looks like he used the 3mm blue silicone vacuum hose from Elkparts at £2.45 per meter. That's what I used. I ordered 4m and had plenty left over. If you can get hold of slightly larger diameter then that should work fine to. I believe up to 4mm is OK.

Motor Mouth
    I did use the blue hose from Elkparts and on the whole it went on fine but a couple of them were a bit tight

I went with yellow.

The transperant line from the upper T-splitter to the bottom right of the picture; is that the feedline for Flashlube?
    Just curious, because i'm still looking for the most efficient spot to connect it to.

I went with red 4mm, I was very generously given most of this by Johno, but had to get a section for the new BPV. I also found the new non-return valve pipes very tight indeed so left that section from throttle body yo oil filler for the moment but have plenty left for this section.

I also got some red 3mm but found it too tight for comfort so I would urge a 4mm choice.

15. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements