URGENT help required please 1.9TiD 8v 120bhp EGR?

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT help required please 1.9TiD 8v 120bhp EGR?

Hi all,

I have a 2005 9-3 1.9TiD Vector Sport with 65k on the clock. I'm having some problems which from reading, point to a clogged EGR valve.

Symptoms are no power at low revs, initially only when cold but now on and off any time through a journey.

When I arrived home tonight and turned the car off the check engine light came on as well.

I really really need to get this sorted as I need the car to commute from Middlesbrough to Newcastle. Unfortunately I can't really afford to book it in anywhere so I want to have a go at cleaning it myself.

So..

If possible could someone point out where on the 8v engine the EGR valve lives? I assume once I have located it I simply remove and clean it with carb cleaner before replacing it?

I would really appreciate some help locating the valve and any information to help with cleaning it.

Many thanks in advance,

Danny

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Anorak
    Its right at the front of the engine, between the engine and radiator.

You will see a couple of small brass looking pipes coming out of the side

Hi, thanks for the reply, can you see it on any of the following pictures

Saab Anorak
    I'm talking nonsense (thinking of a different engine). Ill see if I can see it in the WIS

Saab Anorak
    Item 3 here

Saab Anorak
    Instructions

Item 3 here[/b]
    Thanks, is this it?

Thanks for that, I didn't see your instructions, I tried to remove the bolts as below with an allen key but couldn't shift them. I suppose I'm using the wrong tools. I can't imagine how you'd get to the number 4 bolts either!

Once I've managed to get it off and clean it is there some way to reset the engine warning light/limp home mode?

Thanks again

Saab Anorak
    My car went into Limp home mode once but it went back to normal when I turned off and restarted the engine........ until it failed again (mine was split intercooler but all the symptoms point to EGR Valve).

The Engine lamp remained on until Saab connected their Tech2 to the car

My car went into limp mode and had no acceleration at all. When I contacted the garage they said it was unlikely that it was the EGR as it tends to be a problem with the 150 rather than the 120 bhp.

My car went into limp mode and had no acceleration at all. When I contacted the garage they said it was unlikely that it was the EGR as it tends to be a problem with the 150 rather than the 120 bhp.[/b]
    What did it turn out to be on yours?

I've read that some 120s suffer although the 150 is more common

The symptoms on mine were that I steadily accelerated away from a roundabout, there was a pop and then the power went. As soon as I tried to accelerate, it faltered and was very juddery. I managed to get home at about 25 mph and then rang the garage. The service manager who I find really good then said he doubted it was the EGR as mine is a 120 (unfortunately). Got the AA out and they thought it may be a loose or split hose from the turbo. Couldn't find anything so they recovered the car to the dealers. Turned out the turbo had gone so a new one was fitted.

Interestingly, no fault codes showed up and when I started the car, even with the blown turbo, it went through the checks on startup and came up 'OK'.

Mine had only done 20000miles when this happened.

The symptoms on mine were that I steadily accelerated away from a roundabout, there was a pop and then the power went. As soon as I tried to accelerate, it faltered and was very juddery. I managed to get home at about 25 mph and then rang the garage. The service manager who I find really good then said he doubted it was the EGR as mine is a 120 (unfortunately). Got the AA out and they thought it may be a loose or split hose from the turbo. Couldn't find anything so they recovered the car to the dealers. Turned out the turbo had gone so a new one was fitted.

Interestingly, no fault codes showed up and when I started the car, even with the blown turbo, it went through the checks on startup and came up 'OK'.

Mine had only done 20000miles when this happened.[/b]
    Thanks, that doesn't sound like whats happening with mine, my symptoms match exactly others on here and uksaab that have had egr problems. I need to go and get a torque wrench and some hex sockets tomorrow morning to try and get it off to clean it. Fingers crossed!

Hi guys,

Right, I managed to get it off, you wouldn't believe how dirty it was!

The car seems to be running better, I'll know more after I've managed to clear the fault codes/check engine light hopefully. Can anyone help with this or do I have to take it to the dealer? They've quoted £31 to read and reset!

Dirty EGR

Gunk

Gaskets (replaced the same ones)

Clean!

Update: The car ran fine this morning so it does appear that it was an EGR fault. Hope the images help others with the same problem.

Cheers
    Dan

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast