Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Autosavant considers the state of Saab

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  1989agoodvintage 
#1 ·
One of the notable 900s at the great TS Pacific Northwest Meetup belonged to Kevin Miller, who’s one of the writers for online motoring site, Autosavant.

In the washup of the event and all the chatter and discussion that took place, Kevin’s penned a piece considering the current state of Saab. As I read through it, I found myself nodding my head over and over again.

<blockquote>Saab enthusiasts, in general, are concerned about the state of the company and about GM's stewardship of the marque (or lack thereof).

</blockquote>
(nods head)….

<blockquote>Throughout its history, Saab has been an innovator of vehicle safety. Beginning in the 1970s, Saab became a leader in economical vehicle performance through the use of turbocharging, which supplemented vehicle performance while maintaining fuel economy. Saab is still making incredibly safe cars, and they are among the most fuel- efficient near-luxury vehicles on the market. So why aren't either of those facts highlighted in Saab's current marketing?

</blockquote>
(nods head)….

<blockquote>Thirty years after Saab introduced turbocharging , GM and Ford are introducing “groundbreaking” new technology with their small-displacement, turbocharged engines for volume passenger cars and light trucks. The technology is being touted as all-new, as if those automakers have re-invented the proverbial wheel.

In this time of heightened focus on fuel economy, Saab should be shining, and highlighted as a jewel of efficiency and dynamics in GM's crown.

</blockquote>
(nods head)….

It should be noted that Saab have recently started to focus on the efficiency of turbocharging in their latest US advertising, but considering how quiet Saab have been in the last 12 months, they have a very long road to travel in getting the marketplace aware of their credentials.

Fact: they should OWN turbocharging the way Volvo OWNS safety.

It’s a crime that they don’t.

There’s a lot more stuff in Kevin’s piece and I’d recommend that anyone interested in Saab’s current position, and their future, have a read and leave some feedback there.

Autosavant: What is GM doing to Saab, and why?

-

</img>

See less See more
#2 ·
Nowt wrong with Saab's marketing - given that their engineering is left behind by any of their competitors there's only so much you can do. In a recentish interview the current Saab director (sorry, at this point I can't be bothered to remember names as yet another figurehead will be sitting in his place by the time he'd been able to show his colours) bleats on about 'responsible performance' as a USP. Ehm, under what roack have you been hideing? Where's Saabs answer to BMWs Efficient Dynamics program? Shouldn't Saabs petrol turbo engines have gained direct fuel injection at least 3-4 years ago? And ferchrissakes where's the prduction version of Saab's SVC introduced ELEVEN years ago, now Mercedes-Benz among others is on the brink of productionizing their 'Diesotto' engine, leaning heavily on... variable compression technology.

#3 ·
Spot on, Eric. I find the lack of engine development particularly frustrating. For example, the 3 litre M
BMW N/A engine in the 5 series delivers more power, better performance and better CO2 emissions than any of the petrol engines fitted to the 9-5. Trionic might still be a neat turbo control system but the rest of it is now nearly 20 years old and others have moved on...

#4 ·
Spot on, Eric. I find the lack of engine development particularly frustrating. For example, the 3 litre M
BMW N/A engine in the 5 series delivers more power, better performance and better CO2 emissions than any of the petrol engines fitted to the 9-5. Trionic might still be a neat turbo control system but the rest of it is now nearly 20 years old and others have moved on...[/b]

Indeed, part of the reason for my falling out of love with the marque is the lack of engineering progress. Saab's attempts to deliver powerful, fuel efficient engines such as the SVC were been curtailed by the conservatives within GM who would rather peddle old, inefficient technology than develop ethically sound and desirable alternatives. Of course this lack of foresight must be hurting GM very badly indeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.