Bosch Super 4 for V6?

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Bosch Super 4 for V6?

Banned
    I'm considering putting a set of Bosch Super 4 (FR78X I think) spark plugs in my newly-acquired V6 CSE. Does anyone have any experience - good or bad - of these in this engine? I'm attracted by the likely longevity, given the awkwardness of doing a plug change.

BOF

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

My advice would be to fit the plugs that saab advise due to the possibility of damaging the coil pack which can be expensive.Changing the plugs isn't that bad,its just unpluging and pulling out the way of the wiring harness that makes it a bit of a pain on the rear bank of three.At least you won't have to remove the inlet manifold as on the 2.5.Took me about an hour the first time but have just replaced the plug leads for which i also had to remove the intake pipe from the air filter to the inlet manifold and that still only took an hour.Any pics to post yet Dennis

Saab Afficionado
    I had some similar rather expensive plugs left when I changed an earlier 9K with a distributor for a newer one with DI. Put the new plugs in and the DI failed about 6 months later. Lesson learnt. You need the correct plugs which need to be resistance rated. If these are, then they might be OK.

NGK reckon that the iridium version of their plugs, apart from performing better, lasts around twice as long as the standard one, so I would go for those.

Banned
    Thanks guys. Now that I've actually got the cover off the engine, I don't see what all the fuss was about - you're dead right, changing them is not going to be a problem.

The handbook specifies Bosch FR8LDC plugs, so the FR78X should be OK. I STILL haven't made up my mind what to fit, though....

BOF

7. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements