96 bonnet stuck shut

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: 96 bonnet stuck shut

Hi all,

How difficult is it to open the bonnet of a 9K when the cable pull doesn't do anything? I

I am hoping the headlamps and grill don't need to be smashed off the car.

I hear it is a VERY time consuming job.

Any suggestions welcome, no matter how trivial.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado
    No longer have a 9K but pretty sure that the cable runs just above the grill and you might be able to pull it through with some long nose pliers. Certainly you will not have to smash off the headlights, but could be some damage to the grill. Hopefully, someone that has had the same problem will soon come along and offer the best solution.

ps If the cable is still intact and just the fasteners are stuck, perhaps try some gentle (bouncing type) pressure over the bonnet where the fasteners are, while someone else pulls the bonnet catch lever.

Hi all,

How difficult is it to open the bonnet of a 9K when the cable pull doesn't do anything? I

I am hoping the headlamps and grill don't need to be smashed off the car.

I hear it is a VERY time consuming job.

Any suggestions welcome, no matter how trivial.[/b]
    Hi Aus,if the bonnet pull still feels as if it has tension (ie:cable attached),but just not releasing the bonnet, try pulling the catch with your left hand while giving the top corner of the bonnet just below the windscreen a sharp blow with a clenched fist of your right hand ,hopefully this should let it pop up,Cheers,Bill.

Motor Mouth
    I can't remember exactly how but I did manage to get the grill off my '87 car by undoing the screws in the grill and filldling about a bit and without breaking anything - I got quite good at it as I used to solder the cable back together which would last for a while until it broke again. The grill on an '87 car is though deeper than later cars so not sure if the fixings are the same.
    Mike

Saab Anorak
    Some have said it's possible to get at the bonnet catches by removing the front grille. Not easy, but there are 3 fixings along the top of the grille. You should be able to slip a torx 20? driver through between the rubber on the bonnet & the top of the grille. It might help if you can see where the 3 fixings are?... http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/album615/bonnet

Good luck

Saabisti
    My 97 cse got stuck due to rubber stops being too low. The metal arrow shaped catch(on hood or bonnet) went beyond the spring loaded catch and caught the metal below it. I had to remove grill to see which direction to push bonnethood and pull release at same time... not fun KB

Have you tried the two person method?

Get someone to pull the handle while you attempt to 'lift' the bonnet.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but I alway try 'obvious' before opening the toolbox

Super Moderator
    aus715,

I would describe the 2 person method rather differently than Naranto. I find the best way is to get the Assistant to press down as hard as they can on the front edge of the bonnet to releave the pressure on the catches while person 1 tries the lever. If the lever has broken use the pliers in the toolkit to pull the end of the cable.

RULE No. 1 When you get it open lubricate the catches !

If the cable is broken between lever and catches then revert to fiddling about with the plastic grill. If broken between catches then you will probably get the O/S one open giving enough leverage to get inside a bit more and perhaps get a grip on the broken cable.

Replacing the cable is a bit of a pig. Best just to replace the inner and leave the outer in place rather than trying to fiddle it through the bulkhead etc. The catches are operated by little 'balls' grub screwed onto the end and adjacent to the O/S catch. Release these with an allen key and slip off the end. Feed the new ( scrappy ) inner through the outer from the cabin end and replace the 'balls'.

Make sure you have lubricated the catches. I'm going to oil mine tonight. Reminder for everybody else.

Paul @ Kippen.

You only do this job once, it's such a pig. Lubricate NOW !

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!!
    The bonnet was adjusted four months ago to fit better, after a kangaroo took out the offside wing, left wheel and headlamp. The paintshop never put it back well enough for my liking. Maybe I have created the problem and the bonnet catches are too tight. Here's hoping.

I will try the two person method tonight, and try not to get too aggressive with the thing ( yet ).

Will report back shortly.

Thanks again for the advice.

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements