Newbie signing in & first question

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Newbie signing in & first question

Hi all, newbie saying hello. Bought a used 9-3 2.2 TiD SE on an 02 plate a month ago with 135k miles on the clock. Lovely drive and really pleased with her so far. Managed 666.6 miles on first tank which was 47 mpg average so can't be bad! Was driving a 2L 16V Vauxhall Calibra before but growing kids and increasing electrical gremlins encouraged me to change for the Saab.

Anyway, my first query is does anyone else experience water getting into the boot on the offside rear? With all this lovely rain we're having I'm not sure whether it's getting in by running down off the rear window or spraying up from the road - possibly through the vent with the rubber flaps from the rear offside inner wheel arch?

Anyone else got this problem?

Ade

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Anorak
    Hi Ade, and welcome to Saabscene. My 1999 9-3 had a similar problem, dampness/water in the "boot," and it was sorted by replacing the rubber seal around both taillights. Cheap and easy! So have a look, and for your sake, I hope you've the same problem

Hi Pyronerd & thanks for the welcome.

I'll have a look at the seals around the tail lights as suggested - it only seems to be happening on the driver's side so maybe there's a problem there.

Gas Flowed Head
    Welcome to the board Ade

Saab Anorak
    Let me know how you get on.

Pyronerd - I took the tail light off tonight (in between heavy downpours!) and found the black foam type membrane intact but very dirty with what seems to be several years' worth of gunk deposited all around it. Cleaned the membrane, light housing and car bodywork and reassembled, tightening the 4 10mm nuts as tight as I dared to get a better seal (without cracking the light unit).

I've dried out the boot ("trunk?") and put the carpet back so we'll see whether that's done the trick tomorrow morning (it's raining hard as I type this and is forecast to continue raining all night).

Thanks for the advice.

Ade

Saab Anorak
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

9. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements