tyred out and slippy

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tyred out and slippy

tyred out and slippy

Hello everyone, I am looking at replacing the tyres on my stage 1 upgraded 9-3 lpt MY2000, and was looking for some feedback on any specific brand/manufacturer that you favour.

I am currently using 17" Hankook tyres which came as part of an aftermarket wheel upgrade package. They perform ok in the dry, but are mince in the wet. Here in Scotland you may have heard that it occasionally rains, so a tyre that performs well in the wet may be more up my street ?

Also, and this may sound like a daft question but here goes, my car I'm fairly sure has no traction control ? (my2000 9-3lpt 154bhp standard,
    now up to 212bhp)and wheelspins like something possessed in the wet (hence the earlier question about my rubbish tyres)is traction control something that could
    be retro-fitted to my car ? help !

cheers

tangerine terror

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Turbo Talker

Re: tyred out and slippy

retrofit traction control ?

Anything is possible but I would guess very expensive

Tyres
    My two favourite tyres are
    Toyo T1 r's
    and goodyear fi gsd3's

both work very well in the wet (even at 160 mph)
    The goodyear is comfier than the toyo but the toyo is more responsive

I will say however that this is in the size I use and it will be different for different sizes

good prices at www.mytyres.com too....

Full throttle

You could also consider Bridgestone 050A and Conti Sport Contact2.

Are you concerned about performance in snow and ice? If so, any high performance tyres will be useless. You may need a set of winter wheels and tyres.

Turbo Talker

I'll second the Good years and the Contis (have both on my 9-3 at the mo...) - both excellent in the wet, but as Sgould says, completely useless in snow...

Saab Anorak

[ QUOTE ]

....and wheelspins like something possessed in the wet (hence the earlier question about my rubbish tyres)is traction control something that could

[/ QUOTE ]

Michelin Pilot Sport come recommended, the Pilot Precedas are not bad for Bangkok weather (it gets pretty wet here sometimes!)

I'll assume you've already got the handling sorted out with a bigger rear sway bar, steering rack clamp and brace, and subframe brace.

If you've got a manual gearshift, you can always consider a LSD (limited slip differential) from Abbott Racing.. should cure the wheelspin.. it's just a little out of reach for me just now.

Also.. instant traction control = lighter right foot on pedal..

[ QUOTE ]

Also, and this may sound like a daft question but here goes, my car I'm fairly sure has no traction control ? (my2000 9-3lpt 154bhp standard,
    now up to 212bhp)and wheelspins like something possessed in the wet (hence the earlier question about my rubbish tyres)is traction control something that could

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't all 9-3's and 9-5's with traction control have a 'TCS' button on the dash to be able to switch it off?
    If you've no TCS button then yes you probably don't have it.
    Don't bemoan that, as it's next to useless anyway, and something else to go wrong.

Retro fitting TCS would be more expensive than fitting a Quaife LSD from Abbott Racing which will be far more effective in it's operation.

Saab Nut

I've currently got the Bridgestone S03's on my 9-3 Aero (300+ BHP), and they are excellent. The front ones are worn out and am replacing them tomorrow. Am going for the Bridgestone RE050-MX, not the RE050A. Spoke to the technical department at Bridgestone yesterday afternoon to see what the best replacement for my car would be for the kind of power that it's producing and that was what they recommended. Apparently that's the tyre (with MX suffix) that they make for the Subaru WRX, so should be able to take the power ok. It is a directional tyre (same as S03), whereas the RE050A is an asymetrical pattern. There are about a half a dozen different models of each of these tyres, so you have to be very careful which ones you get, as they're definetely not all the same!
    Having them fitted tomorrow, so if you can wait till the next time it rains up here (shouldn't be long ), I'll let you know how they perform.
    Will be down at Roseisle on Saturday for a Maptun custom stage 5 , so if you're going to be there, you can have a look at them.
    As an afterthought, decent springs and dampers also reduce loss of traction - can't remember what you have fitted to your car.

[ QUOTE ]
    Apparently that's the tyre (with MX suffix) that they make for the Subaru WRX, so should be able to take the power ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Scooby is putting drive through 4 wheels, not two.

Saabisti

If you're interested in aftermarket Traction Control, I'd recommend you look at RaceLogic. I fitted their system to my BMW M Roadster (320 bhp in a crude chassis!) and it tamed it very effectively. Its fully programable so you can set it up as you wish and even make on the fly adjustments to the level of slip to suit the weather.

Hi,

I would recommend Nokian Z's. Had them fitted to my 9-3 for around a month now. Both excellent in the dry and even better in the wet, especially greasy roads. Only problem is I haven't experienced them in snow.

I got them for £53 each online for 215/45/R17's fromm www.tyretraders.com

Saab Nut

[ QUOTE ]
    But the Scooby is putting drive through 4 wheels, not two

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but there's nothing else on the market that you can compare my car to. Do you know of any manufacturer producing a front wheel drive car with 315 BHP, so I'm affraid I just have to take the chance, and the WRX is about the nearest thing I could think of. Remember that I have and LSD fitted as well, so my traction is pretty amazing. It was easy with the S03 pole positions, as they only made one model, but Bridgestone have confused things greatly by producing "tailor made" tyres for different car manufacturers. The Bridgestone Technical man was very helpful, and assured me they would do the job. Just had them fitted an hour ago, but have only done 2 miles, so a bit early to tell!

Saab Nut

By the way, I wont be at Roseisle till the Sunday now.

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but there's nothing else on the market that you can compare my car to. Do you know of any manufacturer producing a front wheel drive car with 315 BHP

[/ QUOTE ]

The current 9-5 Aero is not a huge percentage away at 260hp... that's a far more comparable scenario than 4wd which is a completely different beast altogether. The loads and thus requirements for tyres on 4wd are significantly different than 2wd, and a tread that works well for 4w may not fare so well with 2wd.

Anyway, I've been running over 300hp and circa 350lbft for several years now (with LSD) on my 9k.

SO3s have been the stickiest tyre I've tried, but at the expense of longevity. Pirelli P Zero Neros seem to be good compromise between grip and life.

Saab Nut

[ QUOTE ]
    SO3s have been the stickiest tyre I've tried, but at the expense of longevity. Pirelli P Zero Neros seem to be good compromise between grip and life

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hopefully what I've bought will turn out to be as sticky as the S03 - I'm not really worried about how long they last, as I only do 6 or 7 thousand miles a year. I just want the stickiest tyre that I can get for wet conditions, and S03's were about as good as you could get.
    Will let you know how I get on once we've had some serious rain up here.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message, lots of food for thought there.

Its thrown up a few other things that I should maybe get looked at first before
    I go blundering into the world of LSD etc, namely ;

1)decent shocks, my car is only lowered on springs at the mo' and running standard shocks

2)vrk kit or at least the steering brace from elkparts ?

3)then look at my tyre combo, hopefully doing something about points 1 and 2
    will make a huge difference in the first instance.

Thanks for the offer at Roseisle Neil, unfortunately my wife has me on a date with a paintbrush this weekend. Crail Fast Car event is on this Sunday so expect to see a lot of speed traps on your travels !!

cheers

tangerine terror

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast