Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

iPod / MP3 aux in for 9-3

Tags
aux ipod mp3
123K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  kielbasa 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've just completed a project on the head unit of my 9-3 to provide an auxiliary audio input for my iPod. This is a variation on a couple of themes from this forum - you basically replace the audio signals from the head unit's CD player (I haven't seen instructions for this, hence my post).

You don't need to cut any wires or tracks, and the mod is completely reversible, though the soldering needs a steady hand ! In it's current form you insert any old CD in the player to get it going, but the iPod/MP3 player gets routed to the amplifier, not the CD (who cares if you can't play a CD - you've got them all on your iPod !). I have an idea for a dual-purpose mod, which doesn't need a switch, but haven't tried it yet.

Is anyone interested ? If so I can post instructions and pictures on a blog somewhere.

Cheers,

Nic

#27 ·
You could of course just buy the lead that connects behind the dash and pay the £30 to have the computer recognise the input. about £70 in total.

Elkparts sell the lead for about £40.

No fuss, and no problems soldering/splicing/ no need to run a 74 minute blank cd/ can play CD's if still needed

This is what i'll be doing

#29 ·
My 2001 9-3 TiD has an FM modulator wired in. Its one of the ones that sits behind the dash and has hard connections to the aerial, stereo and 12v supply. The only thing visible is a power switch which I added to a blank switch on the dash, and I also hacked in a small LED indicator so I remember to turn it off. It plays through the radio on any of three switchable FM frequencies (just use an FM preset).

The input lead for my MP3 player headphone socket is wired into the bin on the centre console.

The FM modulator with all leads and power switch was about £20-25 on eBay a couple of years ago. Its worked great ever since I installed it and the sound quality is pretty good, i.e. better than FM radio.

#30 ·
Hi.
I have an 05 convertible that I wanted a better ipod connection in and a parrot. I have been trawling through many many pages on this and other forums looking for a solution. I went for a parrot MKi9200. I did not want to play through the front speakers only so I got a 't' harness off Ebay that connects into the EHU. The fibre optic cable and bus lines come out of the OE connector and plug into the new connector. The parrot lead plugs straight into the T harness and music comes out of all 7 speakers when using my phone or ipod. I did have to connect the yellow mute wire from the parrot into pin 4 of the 375 plug.
All in all I would say this took about 2 hours....mainly because I couldnt work out how to remove the EHU. Again, dead easy when you know how.

When I use the Parrot, the display shows 'telephone'.
The lead was £12 on ebayand the Parrot was £159 on ebay. THe parrot charges the ipod and it displays the ipod menus on a colour screen.

I hope this helps anyone with upgrading. Options are quite limited with upgrading and the saab ipod connection is pretty poor so if you want a quality ipod connection AND a parrot.....this is the surely the best route.

ps i am a newbie so please scuse any omissions or errors.

#32 ·
hi every one, i am newbie and looking to install a parrot mki9200 on my 54 saab Aero convertible. I believe i have 7 speakers in my car and i want music to play through all speakers not just the front ones. Chubbs mentioned above that he bought a "t" harness from ebay to make it work. is there anyone who could tell me whats the actual name of "t" harness and how to connect it please? would i have to buy any additional harness or cables? what is this EHU??
please people forgive me if i sound daft and thanks in advance.

#33 ·
hi every one, i am newbie and looking to install a parrot mki9200 on my 54 saab Aero convertible. I believe i have 7 speakers in my car and i want music to play through all speakers not just the front ones. Chubbs mentioned above that he bought a "t" harness from ebay to make it work. is there anyone who could tell me whats the actual name of "t" harness and how to connect it please? would i have to buy any additional harness or cables? what is this EHU??
please people forgive me if i sound daft and thanks in advance.[/b]

Welcome to SS..

here is for early 9-3..

you need to be here>>>9-3 03 onwards

#34 ·
please people forgive me if i sound daft and thanks in advance.[/b]
I have the exact same question.

I'm thinking it might be this one from ebay, however it says it only works for CK3000 and CK3001 and specifically states it only routes sound to the front speakers. Aside from that, it sounds exactly like what chubb is describing though (puzzled)

#37 ·
Hi,

The CD player in my car doesn't work.
It seems the disk isn't rotating anymore.

If I insert a disk there is some action but I can't hear it rotating.
After a minute or so the inserted disk comes out again.

I don't want to play disks anyway.
But I am wondering, would I be able to modify it to be used as an MP3 player?

It seems a bit silly to buy a new radio system only to disconnect the CD again.
Bypassing my broken player would be the ideal solution.

#38 ·
I fitted a wired FM modulator to my 2002 convertible. The sound is miles better than the fm transmitter but not as good as a CD but thats no surprsie but it only cost about 35 quid all in. I still have the original stereo so it all looks right and..... best of all, I fitted it myself. If I can do it, anyone can....REALLY. It's got to be the best compromise of ease, quality of sound and price.

#39 · (Edited)
So I have a UK 2001 Saab 93 with the stock single CD in the dash. Similar to this:
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/Saab9-3/Images/Dash.jpg

I really want to add a line-in but my tinkering ability is pretty limited.

So FM Modulators seem like the best option for me. I have had a professional install quoted but are in the region of £150 so that’s out of the question.

There are a couple I have seen as possibilities for self install
http://www.ipodxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk/Connects2_iConnect-FM_iPod_Adapter
http://www.ipodxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk/Dension_ice>Link_FM_Modulator

The only thing I worry about is adding a power connection. Splicing and soldering wires scare the life out of me. However the two solutions linked above seem to suggest its easier than that. Can they just be wired in to the existing wiring harness and is that a relatively easy job?

If anyone has any experience in either of these products Id be really interested to hear how they went. Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance everyone.

#40 · (Edited)
Right scratch that. Seems the company I was linking to has a terrible reputation.

Done some more reading and hoping I can achieve what I want a bit cheaper.

Using a Connects2 system. Planning to use ScotchLoks to keep it simple.

Questions now are:
1. Will splicing in to the 'Ant Trig' wire work to power it? Assume that is the trigger for the motorised aerial so will turn on the modulator when radio is switched on.
2. Can I still use the radio and will there be any interference issues?

Any help much appreciated

Edit. If not which is the best wire to splice in to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10396625@N06/7247883394/

#44 · (Edited)
Well I have managed to fit a Connects2 system! I purchased the kit and adaptors (£40) from a great company called Dynamic Sounds who were really friendly and helpful.

Some slight issues around which wire to splice in to. Luckily a good tip was to buy an ISO adaptor (£4 on ebay) and splice in to that rather than start messing about with the original wiring. All reversible too.

What I did was:
1. Splice the red 12v wire from the Connects 2 box in to the yellow cable on the ISO adaptor using a scotchlock. (or solder if you have the skills) Due to the red wire being quite thin I doubled it over to get a better connection. The position on the original diagram is the +15. Thats the ignition live cable so will only work with the key in the lock and it wont drain the battery. In standard ISO set ups its the red wire (+30 position) but it seems Saab swapped them, round)
Electronics Text Font Technology

2. Take it all to the car and its then a simple matter of plugging in the aerial leads and then the iso adaptor in between the stereo and the original wiring loom.
3. I dropped the ipod cable down to poke out by the passenger footwell. Not the tidiest but will do for now.
4. Find the clearest frequency from the three options and then tune the stereo in to that.

Away you go! :thumbsup:

Sounds is pretty good but something like the saabaux may be better. However sound is good enough for me and my iphone is charged at the same time. All for roughly £45.

Ive never touched wiring in a car and managed to do it so not that hard! Hope this helps anyone else thinking about doing it.

#48 ·
I know this is an OLD issue, but I had tried doing this mod and it worked nicely. I had a bad implementation, a bit ugly so I returned it to stock for a while until I got the itch to have an aux jack again. Then in my second attempt I must have touched the wrong contact since the CD play stoped working (wouldn't spin CDs). Getting a new radio is tough, because finding a properly divorced one and getting it married is tough. I ended up getting the kit from SAABAUX. It was a bit expensive, but I think it was worth it.

#51 · (Edited)
Hi, yesterday I made aux in in my radio, but there's one problem.
I have a cassette player but when I plug the jack into the socket the seek buttons on the radio stop working. Those on the steering wheel work well.
I need to unplug connectors at the back of the radio, and plug them again. They start functioning normally and they will until I plug the jack again.
any clue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.