Wiper blades - Bosch without spoiler or not?

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiper blades - Bosch without spoiler or not?

Wiper blades - Bosch without spoiler or not?

Hi all,

Both of my wiper blades need replacing. I've seen recommendations on here for the Bosch Super Plus blades but it seems they don't do a 23" version with a spoiler for the driver's side.

What are your thoughts? Should I go for the Bosch without a spoiler in 23", a Bosch with spoiler in 22" or 24" (assuming it won't catch) or should I go for another make (genuine Saab?) altogether that does have a 23" with spoiler?

Not the most important decision in the world, but would appreciate any thoughts / experiences.

Cheers,
    Ade

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Junior

Re: Wiper blades - Bosch without spoiler or not?

Hi,
    Bosch do not do the 23" wiper with a spoiler as it is not used enough (Fairly uncommon size).
    The original Saab wipers are made by Valeo but Valeo do not sell them in this country, they do come with a spoiler.
    Champion do a 23" with a spoiler, However the company that I ordered my new wipers from have said that the spoiler is not a very good design and actually catches a lot of water that is then dumped on the screen after the blades have passed. The guy I spoke to actually owns a Saab 9-5 and tried the Champions but has now changed to the Bosch ones.
    Based on this I ordered the new Bosch Super Wipers in 23", they do wipe very well, but are a little bit noisey at times and the drivers side lifts at speed. (Around the legal limit ) However they are cheaper than the Saab (Valeo) ones.
    The company I ordered from are http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/
    I have got to say that it was excellent service as I have ordered several sets from them now.
    Hope this helps.

I use the Bosch spoiler ones(can't remember the size though but it fits and goes to the top of the screen!) and have no problems - got mine from Eurocarparts as they are literally next door and were very cheap.

Motor Mouth

You will definitely have problems if you don't have a spoiler on the drivers side. Not only at speed but also in windy conditions, as you have to remember that driving into a 40mph wind at 30mph is the equivalent of 70mph in still air.

I always use Bosh where available - but don't recall having problems finding one to fit the 9-5 as other people have mentioned.

I bought the Bosch blade without the spoiler (admittedly by accident) from Hellfrauds about 3 or 4 months ago and get no trouble with the blade lifting at all, even at speed (not that I'd ever go above 70, honest! ).

Haven't looked too closely at the front wipers on my 9-5 recently (passed its MoT, wipers give good visibility and are intact) but on my others C900s and 9ks I have used refills with varying degrees of success. I put a refill in the rear wiper of the 9-5 estate at the weekend, and that seems fine.

Cheers for the replies guys.

I think I'll probably go for Bosch - a 22" with spoiler for the driver's side and normal 23" for the passenger. I can't believe the missing 1/2" top and bottom will be that much of a problem....

Thanks,
    Ade

Saab Nut

I've just fitted std 22" Bosch (without spoiler) and they are silent, don't lift at 90+. Kev.

Saabisti

Hi, I have tried Bosch blades and found them to be false economy. They were good to start with but deteriorated quickly with the drivers side suffering the most. They do lift at higher speeds. The original Saab Valeo blades are the best and if the car is older I would recommend replacing the arms as the new springs make a big difference. Cleaning the screen with glass cleaner prolongs the life of the blades and gives smear free wiping.

Hi,
    Elkparts do a pair with spoiler for approx £25.00. They are really heavy duty items and are indistinguishable from Valeos. Say goodbye to judder and squeak. When I bought my 9-5 it had Bosch ones on and they were terrible.

regards,

Pete

Saab Anorak

Over the years I have tried all sorts of makes of wipers. Conclusion is Valeo without a spoiler last about the longest and are quiet. Local car shop DRB in Warrington sell them. They are now an A1 shop so maybe others also sell them. The worst have always been Bosch - typically 3 months life, Valeo about 12 months. Halfords own refills had reasonable life but were noisy. Cost of wipers seem expensive for what you get.

Saab Newbie

Update on this:

spent part of the aftenoon at Halford's (Bliss ) and their catalogue indicates set no.38 which is 24 with spoiler + 22 passenger side. 24 is definitely too long (lifts as it touches the edge) and 22 definitely too short (big uncleaned area on pax side). Bosh still don't do 23 w. spoiler so do NOT go to Halfords for blades. BTW their spoiler models are really flimsy.

Will get Saabs or Valeos by mail order...

I ended up with a 22" spoiler one on the drivers side in the end. On the whole, I'm not overly impressed with the Bosch blades - they smear much more than the original Valeo ones, even from new.

Next time I replace, I'll go back to standard.

Ade

Saab Newbie

Update on update... Just ordered from Elkparts. £27 incl. shipping as opposed to £21 for the unsuitable Halfords set or £23 for Boshes sans spoiler...

[ QUOTE ]
    Bosch still don't do 23 w. spoiler so do NOT go to Halfords for blades. BTW their spoiler models are really flimsy.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do to order! Larger Halfords stock 23" (sometimes).

Our local car spares shop does cheapo 24" refills that fit in the original blade at £3.99. Cut 1" off, shove 'em in and they last 6-9 months. A lot cheaper than replacing the full blade & you get to keep the spoiler.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast