Cheap Bodges - Page 2

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Bodges

Sloppy GM900 Clutch pedal? Biting point wrong?
    Ditch the stupid auto adjusting cable and pedal, and simply fit the pedal, cable and spring from any Mk2 or 3 Astra, Mk3 Cavalier or Calibra. Presto, manual adjustment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Realistically cannot see any way of doing this other than to take the side panel off,[/b]
    There's an easier option- remove the ash tray assembly. It's only held in by clips top and bottom that easily yield under insertion of a screwdriver.

Thank you so much Astra Dan!!!!!!!!!

I always belived there was a GM. alternative to the F*****G stupid Saab clutch cable.

I run a 97 convert. and boy is the clutch a pain!!!!!

Do you have GM. numbers or do I need to go hunting in the breakers??

Again a big thankyou and look forward to your reply.

Cheers!!!!!!!

Alwyn Magee.

Sure, the cable is 90209335.

Saab Newbie
    Realistically cannot see any way of doing this other than to take the side panel off, push the sensor unit through the panel, rotate 180 then push it back through[/b]
    There is a much easier way to get at the sensor unit if you have a ACC panel. Just remove it and its dead easy to get full access to the sensor, did my Viggen sensor last Monday, but didn't turn it through 180 deg just cleaned it with a fine artist paint brush and used a vacuum cleaner about an inch away to suck off all the accumulated dust. Works better now without the noise

Thanks Dan.

The pedal and assembly I will have to source at a breakers YES??

Which is the best to look for??

Strongest I suppose as the action of the clutch is heavy!!

Thanks again.

Alwyn Magee.

Re mk3 Astra clutch pedal and cable.

Managed to source the complete pedal box at my local breakers for £10 and a brand new cable on E.bay for £8.

The cables are the same in all respects apart from the silly F**k up of an automatic adjusting system. The pedal is the same except for the top where to cable hooks on.

So I guess an hour or so to fit it and fingers crossed I have the problem cured.

Have already checked the alingment and changed the gear oil to the new semi syn. , after the flushes.

Many thanks ASTRA DAN.

Alwyn magee.

Hi. All,

Finally got a dry afternoon and did the business on that clutch cable and pedal.

Took about 2 hours from start to test drive and boy is it a million times better.

Smooth gear changes, no rasping to put it into reverse.

Hopefully I've nursed the box and clutch well enough to last for the next 100k miles.

Begs the question "Why the hell didn't Saab/GM. do this in the first place?"

MK3 Astras are ten a penny so guys get out there and do the mod..

More than a bodge and will help your mental health no end.

Again many thanks to ASTRA DAN.

This is my last word on the subject.

AMEN.

Alwyn Magee.

Electric mirror switch.

If it's a bit sloppy in one or two directions the keypad membrane may be worn (in which case it requires replacement) but if it's only just started playing up, the PCB may just be a bit grubby.

remove the switch, and with a flatbladed screwdriver, carfeully prize the face/button casing off the rear of the switch. Remove the membrane and, using a CLEAN eraser, gently rub over the metal contacts on the PCB. If you have any, contact cleaner can be used to give a final clean of the PCB. Put it back together and you may just find it works again!

Saabisti
    Correct. Had to prise the multi tabs away (still managed to brake a couple) and got access to the inside of my unit. The voltmetre was not showing any contact. Sprayed some sparky PCB cleaner and by the end of the day all contacts had been re-established. It is grimme being deposited on the contacts that could cost you £45 +VAT if you don't have a go at this quick-fix......and if the unit has to be changed anyway there is nothing to loose in attempting this repair.

Of course if it does need to be replaced, you can get a vauxhall vectra/astra switch (check whether yours has wires exiting it, or if it's a plug connection). Vauxhall switches are reverse wired so Up = down and left = right, but the keypad membrane is identical.

So you have two choices.
    1: mount the switch upside down
    2: remove the keypad membrane and use that in your existing switch.

I advise the latter since your dash switches will have faded/aged, and you don't want it standing out.

Saabisti
    .......And how much are those Vauxhall switches new????

.......And how much are those Vauxhall switches new????[/b]
    Don't know, there's some homework for you! But they are definitely more plentiful!
    I got a fully working one from a breakers yard for £6 and just used the membrane.

interesting method for the mirror switch! do you think the same solution would work for the memory switch module for the electric seats too? i recently took apart one of these as mine seemed to have packed up and realised that the contact point between the 'M' button and other memory presets was slightly discoloured.

Saabisti
    Can't see no harm in giving those electric seat contacts a good clean with either methods explained above.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast