Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

'02 3.0t wagon pwr sterring hose HELP?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Paul Anderson 
#1 ·
Hello all, my Cassidy II, a 6 cyl autobox developed a leak in the metal portion of the rear power steering hose, high pressure line (w/banjo bolt). I've got a ProParts Swed replacement en-route.
Anyone done this? As is true for numerous parts on this, it's in a damnable place.
WIS describes dropping the Sub-Frame from the Body! ... by .."remove the rear engine mounting nut"..."detach rear muffler from catalytic converter... and rear exhaust manifold and swing and strap to the side"... "Mark the position of the sub-frame relative to the body"... "remove the reinforcement plates" ... "slowly (no sh#t) lower the sub-frame. Use a pillar jack"... Well I like an adventure as much as the next guy, buttttt...I've got jack stands positioned at the forward jack points on the body, do I place my lift jack under the sub-frame cross member or the oil pan? What do I mark? Is there a lot of play in replacing the reinforcement plates? I'm a bit nervous and flummoxed here.
Any experienced fellow traveler thoughts are MOST Welcomed. Thanx! Rick

#2 ·
rhf411,

If the subframe is like the one on the 4 cylinder cars then you need to find a way of holding up the engine and gearbox from above. If you have a fancy brace then you are laughing but if you are like most of us then it's a length of timber across the wing tops and a piece of rope through the lifting eyes. I use a scissor jack sitting on the wooden brace and lifting the rope loop.

The brace plates at the rear of the subframe need to come off, no big deal. While you have the subframe out it is worth replacing the subframe rubber mounts. Fairly easy to do with it out and a pig with it in place.

Paul @ Kippen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.