Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Struts and Springs

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Caddyman 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 93 Arc that desperately needs new struts. I was thinking, that since I'm replacing the struts, why not lower it slightly and improve the handling. So my question is, does the Aero strut/spring combo ride any lower than my stock Arc suspension, and if so, is it a direct bolt in replacement? I'm looking for a cost effective way to replace the struts and lower the ride at the same time(without spending a small fortune on coilovers). I've seen many strut/spring assemblies on ebay/amazon, but very little info on the item fitment, manufacturer, or warranty, so I'm thinking these are to be avoided.

thanks, Sean

#2 ·
Hello how much you wanting to spend ?
the reason why I ask that personal question is if you are going for a full set you will also require
the top mounts and bearings dust cover. For the strut and lower spring Sleeve for both sides due to the old ones wearing and as I found out trying to get any off the old items off to reuse is impossible.
and for the rear the top mounts as welll
land you may well require front drop links
aero model runs 10mm lower
when looking for springs there's normally 3 different chassis types
standard , sports , aero
a good quality set of shocks
Monroe have 2/3 different types ( I used OE spectrum) on my latest 9-3
bilsten B4 on my last 9-3
springs go for a good quality set , esp front as that's where they normally snap .
but at the end of the day it's your money and you know your budget .

#3 · (Edited)
This is what I've narrowed it down to(after a ridiculous amount of time trying to decipher the Saab color coded springs, I decided it would be easier to go with aftermarket springs)
Sachs SuperTouring Twin Tube struts(front and rear)
Megan Racing lowering springs(I've heard a number of condemning posts about Megan springs, but never heard what the problem actually is)
I've estimated this setup should cost right around $500

Any thoughts? Alternative parts for similar cost?

Sean

#4 ·
Hello Sean .
the only trouble is , both our locations are miles apart , I'm uk and your us .
You may be able to find different parts in your neck of the woods at different prices and spec .
but your struts are good sachs are a well known make .
Over here as far as I'm concerned is there's some cheap what the seller calls OEM equivalent, but I'd rather go for a good make , so the springs you mentioned I've never heard of so I cannot comment.
seems your going the lowering route , Derenza springs are good , depends on how low you are going .
to that point , the Saab colour dots system can be thrown out the window because your not going stock .
but don't forget what I said in my first post about top mounts and bearings , also to add to that rear spring bump stops top and bottom,
but in the end thease are only my suggestions and what I did on both my 9-3
the way I look at it , if your doing the springs and shocks you might as well do it all because on the front you have to remove those items to do the job .

#6 ·
Hi guys, been a very long time since I last paid a visit. I was going to resurrect a thread from 6 years ago, but this one's a bit newer.

I've still got my Saabillac BLS. It's now officially 12 years old since it rolled out of Trollhättan.

Anyway, came back from shopping the other morning and discovered my front nearside spring had snapped turning sharply onto my driveway. Took the wheel off and a piece of coil spring was just dangling there. Droplink top rubber had also detached from the swivel bearing and the grease has all gone out of it. Didn't muck about and had the car jacked up and strut disassembled within half an hour. I stand by my mantra of when one spring snaps then the other won't be far behind and so there was no hesitation in deciding to just buy a new pair of springs, new droplinks and top mount bearings. The Bilstein struts are absolutely ok.

Genuine Saab top mount bearings and droplinks arrived this morning and hopefully a pair of brand new genuine Saab 93190596 springs will arrive tomorrow. Total cost for parts delivered, £125. I could actually have bought dirt cheap aftermarket springs bearings and links for less than half that price, but I didn't fancy having to replace the lot again in 2 years time.

It goes without saying, I hope you are all keeping safe and well in these strange and difficult times.

#7 ·
Follow up to my last post. New front coil springs arrived from Saabtech. This is where it gets a bit interesting. So, I have one original spring from my Saab built Cadillac which I kept from when I removed it from the car 6 years ago. I had one complete Saab 93190596 spring, again from six years ago which I removed from the car today, and then I obviously have a brand new pair of Original Saab 93190596 springs which arrived this morning. To recap, I bought new springs because the nearside spring snapped.

Anyway, I lined up the original Cadillac/Saab factory spring next to the unbroken Saab spring I bought six years ago and alongside that, the Orio Saab Original spring that arrived this morning. So, all three springs appear to be the exact same height, except the spacing between the coils on all three springs is noticeably different. I just found that a bit weird. Also, the original factory spring which I kept purely for interest sake, and the six year old Saab Original springs, have different colour coded dots. The brand new springs I've received today, have no coloured coded dots on them at all!

So, I spent £74 on a pair of genuine Orio/Saab original springs (they came in a box with a sticker from Saab/Orio Milton Keynes) with no colour coded dots on them that are allegedly the correct springs for a 4 door 9-3 1.9 TiD code 43. But the pair I bought 6 years ago were also allegedly the correct spring. I'm now wondering if I should have just bought a pair of dirt cheap springs that are apparently supposed to fit a 1.9 diesel 9-3 and saved myself some cash because there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the springs whatsoever.

At the end of the day, the car is back on the road. It sits just right, it drives and steers perfectly on the new springs. Oh, and I've obviously put in brand new top mount bearings. Both drop links were knackered so the new ones I bought were worth the money. Still, the entire job cost me just £125, so perhaps I shouldn't be too picky.

#9 ·
lizzard-t, yes mate, me and 'er indoors all good!

Rarely use the car these days, well, none of us are really at the moment are we! Me less so, I work just a mile away from where I live, so I walk to work. Still, I just had to fork out for a years road tax because the car does still get used for our long road trips. I had to go out in the car today, it is so much more quiet. Notwithstanding the coil spring snapping, the drop links on both sides were knackered and had been knocking and creaking, so it's been a bit of a winner swapping out both springs, bearings and drop links.

Anyway, I hope all are keeping well and your cars are behaving themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.