Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Rear silencer replacement?

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  lizzard-t 
#1 ·
Driving along today and the rear silencer fell off the car! Thank goodness I wasn't going down the motorway, it held on by the rubber supports so I managed to pull it off and drive home, weirdly it didn't seem any louder..

It's rusted through where the pip goes into the box itself, can I buy a replacement box, cut the pipe back and clamp it on? the existing pipe looks solid although a tad rusty?

I've seen this http://www.exhaustdirect24.co.uk/pr..._-_)_1.9_TD___48.11_Rear_Silencer_,15572.html

For £44, it's not bad, it doesn't seem to say if thats ok for diesel, I presume I need a clamp and some gum sealant.

Appreciate any help & advice.

#4 ·
Ive been trying to order the right exhaust part, when I put in my reg into Euro Car Parts it shows a silencer with a straight connector, but other sites like the link above shows an angled connector, the existing box has an angled pipe coming from it, or at least it did :) So I'm now thinking it either has an incorrect exhaust fitted or Euro car parts has it wrong, I can find the right one but it says it won't fit. I can find it cheaper like Exhaustdirect24 but the online shops is not ideal if it doesn't fit.
Any advice?

#5 ·
Hello Boomish , the link you put up is for a diesel because in the description the horse power is either 120/150 .
some sites ( i.e. eBay or the like ) the listing is a generic listing so dose not show every car/year it may fit .
and the picture they use maybe a generic one as well .
in the end you have to go with what's already on the car and marry it up by sight alone .
there will be some difference.
and the angle of the connecting pipe depends on the link pipe .
its either you order on line .
or you go the other route and go to an exhaust place and hopefully they don't try and sell you a complete system if the rest of it looks to be stable .
hopefully that helps a bit .
just one note , I put in the reg of my car in euro car parts and indeed the back box pipe is angled but the link pipe they sell has an angled end so to my mind the 2 parts they sell would not marry up correctly! Confused? I am :crazy:

#6 · (Edited)
Great reply Lizard just the encouragement I needed, I ordered one from Euro Car Parts so I could pick it up & check it at the same time, they checked it and said it's the wrong one but the straight fitting was obviously incorrect, he said I probably have an original and these are all to fit a previous after market exhaust. At this point I thought well it looks right, then when I got back home I discovered an original part number on the original silencer - 12756386. paranoid I had an incorrect part I began searching the net again.

Just in case it helps others: a company called Klarius seems to make all the cheap exhaust systems- http://webcat.klarius.eu/cgi-bin/kidlog.cgi?lang=&url=
I searched their online catalogue and sure enough the part I got was in correct for the car, however the part shows a straight connection just like all the online part shops, I tried looking up the part number of the original silencer but couldn't find anything not heir site or any others, only thing I found was secondhand parts, one of them said it was stainless steel , maybe the original was stainless steel, I'm not sure how to tell. The box is in great condition as is the pipe but it's the weld that had failed.

Long story short I fit the part that looked right and is listed as a generic part to fit a Saab 9-3, it fitted perfectly, it might be for a petrol, not sure what difference that might make, but it fits. I cut the existing pipe shorter with an angle grinder and a hacksaw, not too bad a job, I was surprised how thick the existing pipe is, I scrapped off all the old outside rust and filed the edges so it would slide on easier. I then put a bit of gum gum paste at the end, one tip is to get the wide exhaust clamp rather the traditional wire clamp, this worked great once it was on.

Hand
Auto part Shoe Metal

Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Automotive wheel system Vehicle
Automotive exhaust Auto part Pipe Exhaust system Suspension part

#7 ·
Fantastic.the one you fitted is for a diesel.because the tail pipes point downwards.i think the petrol ones or sports version the tail pipes come out straight and stick out through a cut out in the rear splitter .
The straight pipe version is the one I've got on my diesel.the car came with it and it seems Saab fitted it to certain version on the facelift 2007 model year including the hirsch boot spoiler.from what I've seen on some others of the same year.
At least you solved the mystery of the rear silencer conundrum .

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.