9000 ABS [Archive] - Saabscene :: Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource

: 9000 ABS

Robert
11-12-2000, 04:52 AM
The ABS light comes on when swiiching on ignition and sometimes goes off after starting engine. If it stays on, I switch off and restart engine it goes out instantly, this is sometimes accompanied with the brake warning light but both always go off and stay off until the vehicle is left for a few hours then we start all over again. Brakes and ABS function Ok when lights are out. Local dealer has 'cleaned' contacts on pressure switch and warns that changing pressure switch may damage ABS unit which is an expensive item... any ideas very welcome.

adrian
11-13-2000, 03:31 AM
I'm a little confused (easily done!), are you saying the ABS light comes on when you are driving?
ABS and brake light will come on and do stay on for upto a minute after firing the engine up. Seem to remember someone saying the lights stay on until the car starts moving and the system can check the signal from the wheel sensors.

Sorry not much help, luckily not had any problems with my ABS so not had to find out about it. Check out Townsend Import web-site for technical info on the ABS system, link is:

http://www.townsendimports.com/

Lets us know how you get on

cdcarlsson
11-13-2000, 03:44 AM
Hi Robert, Can you give some more detailed info? As it looks from your description that the system is working correctly.
The ABS system has an accumalator (a tank of highly pressurised brake fluid), which is pressurised by a pump and takes as much as ten or more seconds to reach operating pressure. While this is happening the ABS light stays on with the Brake warning light as well. Once up to pressure the lights go out and will not usually show unless the car is left standing (ignition off) for several hours, which allows the pressure to drop.

However many other faults can cause the ABS light to illuminate, most commonly a sensor fault at a wheel hub. Hope this assists you.

Oles
11-13-2000, 06:44 AM
Robert

I had the same problem with the light staying on intermitantly and the permanently with in a ten mile trip, naturally worried although the brakes seemed fine I popped in to my local dealer where they noticed that on the off side front wheel the sensor for the ABS had fallen off! Which would explain the light coming on it must have worked intself loose they replaced free of charge and not had a problem since