Carlsson 'twitchy' steering [Archive] - Saabscene :: Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource

: Carlsson 'twitchy' steering

adrian
11-08-2000, 03:24 AM
OK my Carlsson has 205k miles on the clock and is still on its original steering rack and shockers. No signs of the typical steering rack morning sickness rather the steering is too light and too direct! Changing direction (i.e. lane change) to the left is OK but a direction change to the right only requires the slightest of steering inputs and it shoots off. I've checked all the steering bushes/ball joints etc and everything seems fine. The butterfly bushes are about 12 months old. Jacked up the front and turned the wheels and again everthing seems fine - nothing loose. The left inner driver needs changing. Any thoughts? Think I might try this Brian bloke in Chorley.

mpen
11-08-2000, 06:37 PM
go and see him.........he has always been good with me.......tell him I told you I might get that free clutch.......fat chance lol

adrian
12-04-2000, 03:28 AM
Might have found the problem.... nearside front ball-joint is a little loose. Hope to get a new one fitted next weekend when I'll strip the drive shaft out to take a look at the inner driver (vibration under load). Also will spend time repairing the fixings for the wheel arch extension mouldings - really bad piece of design. The nuts are turning the whole bolt round, can not get to the bolt without drilling the pop rivets out of the moulding (most of mine have already rotted)

mpen
12-05-2000, 05:42 AM
I had both my front ball joints replaced last week...my steering wasn't squeaking it was making a thumping noise and the car was wandering on fast tight roads..cost 2 ball joints 66.00 fitting time 1.3 hours its made a hell of a difference..I also had to have the head removed to drill out a broken exhaust stud....it seems like I just get enough money in my secret Abbott racing fund and somthing else breaks...I think that God wants my bhp to stay the same...I put an Abbott dump valve on thats made quite a difference the old must have been leaking

adrian
12-12-2000, 03:59 AM
Finally finished fitting the two lower balljoints last night - cost 8-50 each but several hours of my time!!
Made a huge difference, NS one was shot.
Pulled the driveshaft too using Dereks method which includes taking the hub/driveshaft out as one unit. The tripod inner driver is fine but the cup part of the inner driver has bad grooves. Anyone got any experience of swaping the inner driver cups?