Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

No Boost/vacuum, Nothing On Pressure Guage?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  billj 
#1 ·
My daughter's car had this fault when she bought it and I noticed a 'flutter/chatter' when the wastegate opened. The guage registers nothing, no vacuum or boost. Until recently my wastegate opened once and doesn't chatter. Now my car is the same as hers. Guage doesn't register anything, stays vertical and I hear a flutter instead of a dump! I'm sure it's the valve by the radiator and I'm sure this must be a well know fault. Has anybody got any suggestions as to what should be tried first to remedy this? Do I remove the 'W' pipe and do a test? Thanks.

Boosted.

#2 ·
Ah, I couldn't figure out how the wastegate would make a noise but I think you mean the bypass valve ("dump valve").

First thing to fix is the gauge. Even if there was a fault that meant you got no boost, you would still get vacuum so the fact that the gauge does not move in either direction means there is a broken or disconnected vacuum pipe somewhere. Possibly just a really badly leaking dump valve but even with that I would think you would see some movement on the gauge. It's almost certainly nothing to do with the BPC valve on the radiator.

With the gauge fixed, you might find the noise was due to the same fault and there are no other faults. If not, at least you can then see what the boost is doing and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.