Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Worlds fastest SAAB?

13K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  aeropilot 
#1 ·
Does any of you know if there is a SAAB anywere in the world that has done the quarter mile in less than 10.88 seconds?
Robert Uhr at Nordic Uhr here in Sweden drove 10.88 a couple of weeks ago and had a top speed at 142 mph!
You can watch the car here:
http://nordictuning.com/specialprojects/saab_9-3_2.5t.html
They haven't had the time to update the site with the new results yet.

#4 ·
WRC cars are among the fastest vehicles in the world, and are all modified stock chassis.

The cost of a purpose built lightweight chassis can sometimes be more than the cost of a modified stock one, which can be nearly as quick.

I agree about keeping as much as my Saab as I can. But were I to make a purpose built racecar-for the road, I'd still use a Saab engine. There are few powerplants of similar weight that are as well built, and fewer still with the Ion Sensing Trionic Engine management system.

Dubbya~

#8 ·
Prodrive in Banbury, circa £30,000 worth of kit but it is very very cool. Getting too much oversteer on a loose surface dial some more power to the front, running on Tarmac rather than gravel setup torque biasing based on lateral G and it'll bias power through corners to give you a touch of oversteer/understeer at the correct point on the way to/from the apex.

Matt

#14 ·
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]It was the same car.  After winning the Euro rally it was converted for the Hillclimb. [/qb][/b]
I'm 99% sure the Pikes Peak car was a new build especially for the event and not a conversion/rebuild from one of Per's Rallycross cars.
IIRC the Hillclimb car was finacially sanctioned by the Saab AB board after Per had won the Euro RallyX championship, so in effect to all intents it's a 'works' car with company sponsors, whereas the Rallycross cars are Per's and built from personal sponsorship.

#16 ·
What I meant was whether there was another SAAB that had got a time card from the dragstrip that was faster than Robert.
If Per Eklunds Pikes Peak Viggen is faster or not is purely speculation since he has never been to the drag strip. There is no doubt that Per Eklunds car is a real monster (I've seen it live on Kinnekulle track here in Sweden and it was the most impressive I've even seen) but he still has no time card.
Robert has a 6-speed Quife-kit from Sellholm tuning here in Sweden. It is fitted in the original gearbox.
This car was originaly built mostly for a fun day at the track but since another guy here in Sweden squeesed out 750 bhp in his 9-3 to be fastest SAAB on the drag strip Robert also started to go to the same events.

#17 ·
I would think Per's Pikes Peak car would only be quicker if a different set of gear ratios etc. were put in.

I would think it would be at max speed on the rev limiter after about 100m in it's hillclimb spec....

As you say, Robert's car may well be the fastest Saab with a timecard...

#20 ·
We can discus this for a long time, but we really now first when Per eklund is driving on the quarter mile.

Roberts Saab i sent just fast on the quarter mile, its also fast on the racetrack-
Look at this movie:
Nordic motorsport movie

The silver Saab in the end is PA´s Saab whit 750hp.
Its almost the same engine as in the Pike peaks Saab.

This is just a fun movie, no hard feelings in it.

Regards Sasse

#21 ·
Comparing either the PA Saab, or the Nordic Saab, to the HillClimb car is silly.

The HillClimb car uses a Carbon Fiber and Aluminum spaceframe, and computer controoled All Wheel Drive. I cannot imagine a situation where it would be significantly slower than a FWD Saab. It only weighs 2018 lbs. (915 KG)

It also held the record for Open Class at the hillclimb. The only requirements for that class are that the car use the stock cyllinder block and head, and that it look like the original car.

It was also second fasest on the Unlimited Class. That class can be nearly anything with Four Wheels running on Gasoline ... the fact that it was the second fastest car ever to finish at that level is simply mind-blowing.

I have some videos of that car on a race track. The accelleration is simple in a different league.

Dubbya~

#22 ·
Adrian W>

Of course is it a difference.
But it would be fun to se what the Pike Peaks car would on the quart mile.

We should maybe fix a race from 60mph and up whit Robert and Per Eklunds rally car.

Should be interesting maybe.

We have problems with wheel spin up to 100-120mph whit the 9-3 2,5GT but it is going good after that.

It does 100mph to 144mph in 3,5s with 2 gearshiftings

R/sasse

#23 ·
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]WRC cars are among the fastest vehicles in the world, and are all modified stock chassis.

The cost of a purpose built lightweight chassis can sometimes be more than the cost of a modified stock one, which can be nearly as quick.

I agree about keeping as much as my Saab as I can.  But were I to make a purpose built racecar-for the road, I'd still use a Saab engine.  There are few powerplants of similar weight that are as well built, and fewer still with the Ion Sensing Trionic Engine management system.    :thumbsup:  

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
Not the latest crop. Rally cross of course is a different matter. The Focus that won last year's UK championship had well over twice the torque and power of WRC cars. I believe that there is a RS200 with about 1000bhp which competes & does 0-60 in 2 secs! It also regularly breaks down.

Not sure if there are any Saabs that compete in this category, though.

#24 ·
Pat Dorans RS200 had around 700bhp, retired for good this season with problems too expensive to fix, next season he debuts a Fiesta 4x4Turbo

Dermot Carnegie pilots a Focus 4x4Turbo with around 610bhp, I am lead to believe the spec is very similar to that of the WRC car, other than having quite a bit more bhp, which could be down to have a smaller turbo restrictor fitted.

I also understand a WRC class is being created for the British Championship

As far as I know, no Saabs are currently run in any class of British Rallycross, from memory the only ones I have ever seen in the UK were at the Brands Hatch Rallycross GP many years ago and were entered by European Drivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.