Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

yet more niggles, sorry

Tags
niggles
3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Docproc 
#1 ·
ok, had the 93 nearly a week now, and theres a few more things that are bugging me.

(it's a TiD (150) vector sport Auto, incase it makes any difference)

1) The parking assistance is too quiet, it can barely be heard over the radio, even with the volume down, and there doesn't seem to be a way to make it louder. Also, if the car stops so does the beep. it seems it only detects "changes" in the distance because as soon as the car moves slightly, the beep starts again...the car stops..so does the beep.

2) The D.T.E. is something that I have always found to be extremely useful in my previous cars. it means that when I get in the car in the morning, I can instantly see whether I can get to where I'm going without filling up or not. However, the saab one seems far too sensitive. I live in Milton Keynes which many of you may know is full of roundabouts. This means lots of accelerating/braking. so..last night on my way home I filled up and was interested to see what the DTE said. it started out at about 360 miles. now...as I approached one roundabout I eased off the accelerator and coasted for a few hundred yards, and within a few seconds, the DTE had changed to over 500, as I exited the roundabout and accelerated away the DTE dropped to 380, then to 355...then as I reach the next r/a and coasted again, it rose to 438...and so on. It seems as though the sensitivity is too high.I would prefer a reading to be taken over the last couple of miles, rather than the last couple of hundred yards. or maybe it's because the car is so new that it doesn't really have anything to reference?

3) The adjustable drivers armrest is also a pain in the ar..sorry..neck. I have it pulled all the way forward so that I can use it as an armrest as opposed to something that merely blocks access to the rear seat. I would prefer if there was a way to lock it into place, as even a slight touch pushes it backwards.

I'm sure more annoyances will appear (or maybe disappear) as I get used to the car, but thats all for now

See less See more
#2 ·
Dunno about no. 1 I'm afraid.

WRT No. 2, IIRC the DTE is calculated from a combination of historical mpg, mpg over the last x miles (I think it's 6), current mpg, and fuel left in tank.

If you reset the trip and/or the mpg when you fill up then it will discard the historical data, thus you'll get that bizzarre swinging from one extreme to another till you've got a few miles under your belt to get a meaningful average.

WRT no. 3, I quite agree, they are a pain

#4 ·
My parking assistant also stops beeping when the car stops. It starts beeping when the car is moving backwards again. Since it takes some seconds until the system starts sensing again, I'm sometimes afraid that it won't react before I hit the something.

The volume of the beeps is OK in my car.
I test drove a Rover 75 once with the same function and the volume was so high it was disturbing and annoying.

Tor-B

#6 ·
I too have a 9-3 Vector Sport Auto (1.9Tid 150)

My D.T.E is now pretty good though I hardly ever reset my trip computer so it is pretty stable.

I agree the SPA is quiet, but to be honest I find that if my music is off it is perfect, therefore I don't think I would want it any louder, perhaps to soften my volume on the infotainment unit would be a good feature, so that a) I can hear the SPA and B) I can concentrate on reversing! Mine stops when I stop too

I agree about the arm rest comment, I have adapted my getting out of the car so it doesn't get pushed back (as I tend to lean my elbow on it) but sadly my passengers don't and almost always it gets moved back!

None of these spoil my enjoyment though!

#8 ·
I kind of agree with the way the parking sensor works - why have the beeping when you are not moving? Its a little strange at first as you are never quite sure if its working properly but I've found that if you trust the sensor to work its fine. Overall I would rate it as one of the best extras I have on my car.

#9 ·
Originally posted by 210Aero:
[qb]I kind of agree with the way the parking sensor works - why have the beeping when you are not moving? Its a little strange at first as you are never quite sure if its working properly but I've found that if you trust the sensor to work its fine. Overall I would rate it as one of the best extras I have on my car. [/qb][/b]
Agreed. I had a 9-3 as a loan car the other day that didn't have SPA, and nearly reversed into a wall because I'm so used to the beeper on my own car.

Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.