Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

urban motorway speed limit madness

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sgould 
#1 ·
I regularily take an urban motorway late in the evening when our road maintenence guys find it effective to perform their maintenance
no problem there ..but the posted advisory speed are ridiculous verging on the insane and very dangerous
To make people slow down they were posting speeds of 20/30 mph..however most people were bowling through at 50-60
If you slow down to the posted speed limits the road becomes a very dangerous place as cars barrel down on you at closing speeds of 40 mph or so
So by having such low limits people just ignore them essentially (including the police !!)and so to slow people down they post even slower speeds !!

what a farce

rant over

#4 ·
sgould, something I've been meaning to ask for a while. It seems (to me, at least) that more road works take place at this time of year than, say, during the summer. You sound like the guy who can tell us:

1. whether this is actually the case, and
2. if so, the reason for it

#5 ·
Planned works shouldn't be dependent on time of year, but it's possibly a consequence of building developers / road builders (who pay for all this) getting budgets in April at the start of the financial year taking a month or so to process their requirements and then the utility companies needing to design a scheme and then give a months notice of work to the highway authority. So there will be three or four months lead in - and then everyone wants to get the job done before the bad winter weather because you're not allowed to backfill holes in the road with frozen/frosted material.

Additionally it's also the fact that water and gas mains, if they are old and weak, tend to fracture at the first cold spell of the winter. So that's an extra burden at about the same time. You also have to factor that the road workers go on holiday in the summer when the schools are shut so there's less men around in July, August and September to do the work. And then when its cold and wet and the days are shorter, each job takes longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.