Buzzing from behind the dash
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buzzing from behind the dash

Saab Newbie

Buzzing from behind the dash

On my 2001 9-3 I have an annoying issue when I turn the ignition off. There seems to be a buzzing from behind the dash which takes about 10 mins to stop.

I never had the problem with my old Saab but that never had ACC, which I am presuming is the issue.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Buzzing from behind the dash

This rings a bell. Hmmm...

Does this resemble it? 'Dashboard poltergeist':

http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....394.html#000000

Saabisti

There is also problems with the ACC dash temp sensor, located in one of the switch blank positions.
    It may be worth removing sensor, remove ACC panel and sensor comes out from behind, give it a good glean and some wd40.
    HTH

Hull Saab

May be related to your problem

This sounds like a something that I have on my 2000 9-5 2.0 lpt.
    If you turn the ignition off after a run you get a strange buzzing noise from behind the drivers side dash that usualy lasts for a few minuites, and then slowly fades away(it sounds electrical), but you only get this noise after using the air-con.
    If you dont use the air-con during a trip.....you don't get the noise after

I decided to live with it as the car hasn't set itself on fire yet but I would love to know whats causing it.

Saab Newbie

Yes. I drove a 93 FPT where the noise was very pronounced. I get the same buzzing (I thought it was from the passenger side -definitely the centre consol ) only much quieter on my 93SE

Saabisti

Is the buzzing definitely in the dash?

I've got a 1999 2.2 TiD. When I switch my engine off I get a quiet buzzing noise, which I thought was in the dash, but have now traced to the electrics on the side of the ABS block, under the bonnet behind the battery.
    It buzzes (or very fast clicking sound) for about 20 seconds after switching off, then a relay clicks and it stops.

I don't know if it is supposed to do this? (Anyone know?). But I've never had a warning light or message so I've been ignoring it!..

Saab Newbie

I get the same buzzing noise from the centre console of my car (Saab 9-3 SE 1998 2.0i with ACC). It seems to be there all the time the engines running (although you can't really hear it 'cause of the engine) and continues for about 10 mins after switching off. If you put your hand over the ACC sensor in the dash it gets quieter - so I just presumed it's some sort of sensor/fan thing and is normal.

Is it normal??

Saabisti

It is the sensor being discussed and a few months ago mine got to the point where it became audible even whilst driving.

I thought the fan within the sensor itself had gone noisy so I decided to remove it for a clean up/oiling.

Getting to it means taking the glove box out to take the footwell panel out. It's not as bad as it sounds; it's about a ten minute job.

Anyway, the fan itself was fine, the sensor body was rattling against the front fascia panel (it's only a push fit) because the isolation gasket was no longer doing its job.

As my nearest SAAB dealer is a two hour drive away, I made a new gasket out of a bit of corrugated carboard from an old packing box and used this along with the old gasket to make the fit nice and tight again.

I can now barely hear the sensor and it's even quieter than when I first brought the car, and for the first few days after this job I was paranoid about whether or not it was still working!

Saabisti

Any chance it could be the spark plugs burning off deposits? Supposedly unique to SAAB is that after the ignition is turned off..the plugs get one last charge from the cassette to burn off residue...

just a thought.

dc

Saab Newbie

I took the sensor out, cleaned all the fluff off it, a few sprays with WD40 and, hey Presto, no more buzzing. Only a slight hum when you put your ear next to it.

It takes longer to remove the glovebox and kick panel than to 'service' the sensor!

When I re-installed it I reversed the gasket so it was a tight fit.

Also got the glovebox light working again in the process.

12. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread