Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

wheel sizes / tyres

6K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  nigpem 
#1 ·
soz to keep asking questions (new to this performance lark) but i have aquired the money for my upgrades (thank you hsbc) and must admit i am confused by which wheel / tyre size to choose 17 x 7, 17 x 7.5, 18 x 7.5 etc and same with tyres 215 x 40, 225 x 40 215 x 45 etc etc...

which size will be optimal (i know 18s look better) for performance / comfort..have been told by a m8 that 40 profiles tend to be noisier..

can anyone recommend a particular wheel type (pattern) and also a good all round tyre...i do like the hirsch 18" but £1800 is a bit punchy

(leon , out of curiosity what are yours??)

TIA nigel

#2 ·
Mine are SAAB's own design, called 'motorsport' although rimstock make this for a variety of cars...
I'm sticking with 17's as I've heard 18's can be a bit uncomfortable, 17" tend to offer a good compromise of comfort and handling benefit..

If I fo hirsch, I'll probably go for the 17" wheel they offer... plus tyres are a lot cheaper!

The atd size is 225/45R17, this is aero fitment so will offer no problem, with clearence on lock etc...

#4 ·
Unfortunately, most of the Saab rims are of the 17 x 7 type with an exception of a few ugly ones that do 17 x 7.5. BBS rims for Saab have 17 x 8 options which will probably give you a nicer look ( edge of tyre closer to the wheel arch ). As for the tyres, well i wouldn't use the standard Michelins as i few that the road noise feedback tends to be a little high for my comfort. Hmmm ... mabbe Goodyear Eagle F1s for that quiet comfortable ride of the Bridgestone S03/02s for more demanding/sporty drives. =)) Pls update the forum when u do get ur new rims/tyres...could do with a little feedback. As for now ... currently saving up for my 17" 3 Spoke Quad ...

P.S : I think Saabs only look good with the classic 3 Spoke or a 5 Spoke rim. Just an opinion.

#10 ·
agree with you there leon, just posted the price so's you could see the mark-up on the tyres...found a site to get 225/45 17 dunlop 9090s for £96.60 inc vat & delivery...F1s (good years) are a couple of quid cheaper....reading the reports on the site from independant sources the dunlop is better than the GYs on all counts...Hirsch wheels look even more tempting now

link to tyre site

nigel

#17 ·
decision time folks...been in contact with reading to order hirsch rims...now do i have chrome or anthracite...the chrome ones are brand new but the anthracite ones are with tyres (225/45 dunlops) and have had about a months usage with a scratch on one of them (which i am ensured will be repaired/removed) but have been offered to me for less than the price of the new rims without tyres......oh its a black car

#20 ·
cheers scaero, seems to be the general opinion amongst friends and the mrs..will ring first thing to order (providing scratch can be removed)...will post piccies as soon as the suspension and wheels go on.....anyone want a set of alu 22s

sorry nautilus the hirsch are 6 spokes..but lovely with it

#22 ·

Hahaha nigpem .... i must agree with you though, the Hirsch 6 spoke and the old 9-3 Aero and current 9-5 Vector rims are the only 6 spokers i would ever put in my 9-5. Otherwise its back to 3/5 spoke for me. Attached a pic of the 9-5 Hirsch during my trip to the Paris Motor Show last Oct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.