When did they stop making 'em?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Make.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When did they stop making 'em?

Saab Anorak

When did they stop making 'em?

I'm considering retiring my '93 2.0 LPT (215k and still on original turbo, going well) for a newer model. My own car is dual fuel and runs on LPG.
    I've seen grants of 800 towards the cost of convering "older" cars up to 5years old , now extended to 6 years old.
    Would a late 9000 still be in this age range? If so how much would I pay for say a 2.3 CSE, with 70k miles ?
    I would like an auto and cruise control as I'm getting to be a lazy old feker.
    Are the auto boxes on these still considered weak? ( I consider anything after M-reg as "new")

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Nut

Re: When did they stop making 'em?

Originally posted by wulbert:
    [qb]I'm considering retiring my '93 2.0 LPT (215k and still on original turbo, going well) [/qb][/b]
    Why? If it's still going well at that mileage surely you should just run it until it needs something expensive doing and then change it. With 215k it can't be worth much.

Do a quick search on www.autotrader.co.uk to get an idea of asking prices for what you're looking for.

cheers,

Ben.

The last 9000s were model year '98, so you might still get one that's less than six years old.
    www.saab9000.com - all you ever wanted to know about the Saab 9000
    www.saabits.com - stuff to help keep Saabs on the road

Saab Anorak

Thanks Bill & Ben ( tee hee!)

I'm mainly thinking of changing to get something a bit newer prompted by my wife complaining that the old bus is a bit "clunky" and generally past it.
    I've spent a bit of money on it recently , nothing outrageous, new bushes, DI cartridge, exhaust , tyres etc. Just concerned that its on that curve now where expense will outweigh savings by holding onto it. That said; 3-4k buys a hell of a lot of maintenance.Wul

wulbert, I think you'll find that any grant is for an approved car, and no Saab is on the approved list. At least that's the way the Powershift programme works in england, and I'm guessing the same in Scotland.

Saab Anorak

Your joking,
    The scum that they are!!
    No doubt wur saabs are considered too big & heavy to be "green". This is exactly the type of vehicle they should be encouraging. My LPG guy does a roaring trade converting 3.5 litre V8 Jeeps to LPG.

Oh well,
    I think also the chaps above have a good point. I should just keep the old rocket on the road until it dies. This will probably get the best value for money. ( saves me 1300/yr in petrol currently so it earns it's keep, not that I'm tight)

Wul

Probably best to keep as is untill the Govt. put the price of LPG up to close to petrol prices, as they are generally expected to do in the near future. As then there will be no financial incentive to keep the old girl going, that'll be the time to upgrade to a newer car.

My guess is that the chancellor will increase the tax to take it nearer to petrol, but probably end up maybe 10% cheaper (rather than 50%), and that'll take 3 years. So, depending on your annual mileage it could still be worthwhile to have the conversion done. I guess I'll be keeping "Gassy" for the next three years ...

Gas Flowed Head

LPG tax will go up at next budget... I'd expect it to match petrol within 3 years or so...

SAAB's are actually considered to green to be eligible for a grant.

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread