Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

R12 air condition

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pete_turier 
#1 ·
Hi. I just wanted to ask all of you with R12 air-con what have you done due to the lack of R12 freon. Have you converted to R134a, and if so, at what cost. I was told £215 for a full retrofit, while a friend in the business offered a whole cylinder of R12 (LOTS of refills) for £150.

What do you think?

Harry

#2 ·
Hi,
By coincidence, I've just had my R12 repaired. Under no circumstances would the tame air-con man refill with R12, due to the extreme penalties if anyone found out! I was looking at converting to R134, but he said this was not recommended on old systems like this, as it's 'very harsh' on the system. In the end, we converted it to R413A one of the new generation of R12 replacements.
Cost, including removing old R12, vacuuming system out, refilling with Nitrogen to pressure test for leaks, then refilling with R413+neccessary oil +U/V dye for future leak checking: £99.85. Time taken about 2 hours. I used Masons at Cricklade, Wilts as we use them for work vehicles and I trusted them not to rip me off!
As a result, the air-con works better then it ever has done, and I'm now cocooned in cool luxury with a big smile on my face
Their tel no is: 01793 752033.
Pete.
'91 9000S 2.3 Turbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.