The bullet has been bitten - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The bullet has been bitten

Re: The bullet has been bitten

Quote Originally Posted by c2kev View Post
    Sorry i meant red dots on the speaker wire spade connectors.
    Kev I went out and tripple checked..
    There are NO red dots anywhere.. That must be some sort of glitch on the photo or some sort of residue on that 1 terminal..
    I even checked to see of 1 wire was copper and 1 steel..
    But no they are all copper with NO markings whatsoever on the cables or the spade connectors..
    I have now checked 4 times so I am 100% sure about this..

So how do I find which is + and- ?
    Dont tell me it all has to be re wired cos of the cables they used !!

Whilst I have your brains to pick..
    Lets assume I am NOT going to put the sub back in, then what is wrong with wiring 1 speaker per channel.
    Lastly my amp is marked Channel 1, 2, 3, 4
    Which is front left, front right etc etc

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Regular Saab Guy

Sometimes the wire just has a very light line running down one wire. Easy to tell with a Multimeter if you have a friend that can use one.

I agree with Kev get them to wire it as a 4 channel system no sub or get another amp purely for the sub.
    (would be getting money back on the sub if you aren’t using it)
    2010 93 Aero TTiD Manual

Quote Originally Posted by richfr View Post
    Sometimes the wire just has a very light line running down one wire. Easy to tell with a Multimeter if you have a friend that can use one.

I agree with Kev get them to wire it as a 4 channel system no sub or get another amp purely for the sub.
    (would be getting money back on the sub if you aren’t using it)

I agree with you that SOMETIMES they do have a stripe (of any colour) running down one of the pair..
    But NOT in my case !!
    I agree about setting it up conventionally as a 4 channel amp and I phone them up this morning to ask them for just that..
    Its booked in for this coming Saturday afternoon. They are doing it free of charge..
    I tell you if and when its back to sounding as good as it did then I will NOT touch it again.

Like you it felt wrong to me putting 4 wires into 2 channels..
    But when the fader was fully forwards so the just the door and 6 x 9's were working it sounded absolutely excellent.
    My reasoning was to do away with the sub and share out the wiring with the full 4 channels.
    Seriously when it was working (before my messing) I genuinely could NOT tell a difference whether the sub was engaged or not because the 6 x 9's were doing the bass so very well..
    I looked on the box that the 6 x 9's were in and it claims a frequency response of 50hz - 20,000khz

I would say they aren't exaggerating with that claim !

Regular Saab Guy

If the sub was working properly you should have been able to make your eyes bounce not see out properly

If you couldn’t tell its not set up or connected properly.
    2010 93 Aero TTiD Manual

Hi sspeed,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date with your thread.

I do agree with the general consensus here, the wiring to the amp doesn't make sense to me either.

If you wanted to do it properly and money isn't an issue you would need a 6 channel amp.

However, you can and I have used a 4 channel amp for the job at hand.

I would have wired the front to the front L&R, then the rear AND Sub to the rear L&R.

My current setup is slightly different, i'm running a 4 channel amp with a bridge and i'm bridging the Sub because it is an Active sub.

The real question for me, which has been touched on above. Why are they using using High-line inputs when you have had your headunit replaced? It is surely, easier and better to use low-line RCA connections. - I know they have done this due to the side of which the input is in the amp. The RCA input is on the left hand side.

It just doesn't add up.

Hi Godber..

I took it to some installers because I dont know what the hell I am doing..
    I repeat that whether it was wired correctly or not it sounded superb before I messed it up with my thoughts of being kind to the amp.
    I am beginning to think that in future when I have anything technical done I shall just keep quiet that i have had it done and just enjoy it.

Even the internet gives conflicting / varied advice about how to wire up Amps.

Again I say that if it ends up as I heard it with the fader set to full forwards (bypassing the sub) then that is PLENTY good enough for me.
    I think in any field of life there is a point that is optimum and then going beyond that isnt always "better".

I do thank you all for your input though so dont think I am in a huff with you, I am not.
    I am just annoyed that its possible to spend considerably over a grand and then still get criticized that its not done properly!

Sspeed. I think you have been as cool as a cumbuba, over all this , ,
    I'm putting my 2 pennies worth in here for what it's worth
    1) you took it to firm who have done that kind of installation many times before , and with no cumbacks . And to you and me and prolly many others on here . It's proper and a damm decent installation , and it gives you the results you wanted ( so all round a win , win situation )
    2) maybe the reason why they do it like that is so that if you remove the sub , you just put the fader on front setting with no adverse effects ( that's me speaking as a novice , and I can fully understand that facility)
    3) the installation was perfect, until other posters on here criticised the wiring , then ( with good intentions you removed certain plugs , and it all went a bit wobbly , ) I don't at all blame you , and I suppose I woukd of done the same !
    4) as a foot note , I do find posting on any form of media is like pulling the pin on a handgranade.
    You never know if it's going to blow up !
    Stick to your guns , keep with it and by this time next week , it will all be fine .
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Thank you for that Mr Lizzard..
    I can promise that after its been re sorted i will touch nothing on it again.

p.s Sorry about the lack of photo for the item i am selling.
    I confess i didnt read the rules.
    S.

That's ok I kniw you have had a lot going on so I just waited till you were less bussiser.
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

How does your Kylie & Jason cd sound?

Especially for vous..... Alla shoobie doobie dooooooooo

Final Update

On Saturday I took my car back to the ICE installers for them to "unbodge" what I had done..
    I also made the rash decision to have yet another new head unit installed..
    This one has the Sat Nave and blue tooth built in.
    http://www.roadradio.com/Alpine/INE-W990BT/

At last the sound I was hoping to have..

Mike set it up to my car..
    You can even adjust each speakers delay in milli seconds to create the impression you are in the middle of the sound stage. Thankfully this process can be simplified by using the automated input which asks,
    1. Car type (Sedan, estate, convertible etc)
    2. RHD or LHD
    3. front speaker size and type
    4. rear speakers fitted?
    5. Rear speaker location
    6. Sub fitted?
    7. Seat material type?

I have to say I was bloody impressed with the result.

Thanks to Mike I generously got back pretty much what I had paid for the old (1 week old) head unit.
    Its been a journey and not a cheap journey but now I can say I am glad I did it !

13. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3