1st Gen 9000 Front End Conversion
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st Gen 9000 Front End Conversion

Lightbulb 1st Gen 9000 Front End Conversion

After a nice meet up with a friend's newly acquired 95 9000CSE Saturday my 9000 hit a guard rail on the drive home.

Ironic that the day previous I took this photo and spoke of how elegant and perfect my 9000 was.

After months of full-time maintenance and money investment that was to finish next weekend with final brakes and rotors, it was brought to a halt. Many circumstances were brought upon why the crash happened the way it did but from my point, it was just from my driver error, even though if the abs had been functioning the stop would have been seconds sooner and lessened the guard rail impact. I was honestly in disbelief that this happened, I couldn't wrap my mind around reality and that it was just a dream but today I am reminded that it's as real as it gets. I thought of many ways to fix the damage but I reached to the point that I will make my 9000 unique from the rest by combining the front end of a second gen 9000 into a first gen. Since I have my parts car readily available with all good parts I will put them to use. Any welding and cutting will be taken care of by my brother. I had a friend with a Volvo 780 come pull my front drive wheel to the surface to be able to back out and I drove it the rest of the way home. Handling and running wise it is as good as before the wreck, nothing has changed other than the large scar left on the driver front.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1st Gen 9000 Front End Conversion

My brother went out and brought back a few pieces from the wreck site.

Assessed damages today. Had to use a crowbar to pry hood open.

lCleaned out all the glass, as pictured; hood, bumper, grille, headlight, fender, turn signal housing are all destroyed. This makes going with the conversion that much more practical. Going to remove panels tomorrow and continue *dailying the 9000 from home to classes, just a 5-minute drive if no fluid leaks and nothing mechanical is out of place. Part swap is going to begin next Thursday evening. Until then cheers.
    Last edited by Halevirti; 03-26-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Got around today to removing all the front panels from the 91. Was easier than I expected for not having looked at any write ups or manuals. I also began removal of the front end of the second gen car.

The only piece I got to test fit on before calling it a night was the second gen bumper with cover and it bolts up correctly, sits slightly lower than the original 1st gen bumper in due for the slim headlight housings. Hood and brackets appear to be visually identical side to side. Going to continue with the rest of test fitting either late tomorrow or Thursday afternoon. Until then.

Hello halevirti. Must of been a complete shock to say the least .
    But it shows you 2 things ,
    1) those armco barriers were doing there job
    2) that car was doing its job as far as crumple zones .
    Will be very interesting to see the transformation.
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Here we are with results.

Radiator support is direct bolt on

bumper test fitting

Test fitting *driver side headlight

Note! You must swap the matching radiator support hold bars! They're completely different between the first gen and second gen and will not line up.

Adjustment:

The passenger side hood latch ball will most likely have plenty of slack after routing, driverside was actually pretty tight and good but this side was otherwise. Adjustment is easy with a Allen key and rebending with a pair of pliers.
    -
    IF this is not done before hood and grille install and the hood is closer you will be in quite a situation to get the hood to open again!

Hood mounted, adjustments with hood latches, hinges and fender positioning was necessary in order to get a matching line-up all around. Fenders all match the original bolt positioning. Both headlights in for angle testing

Headlight Wiring:
    The 1st and 2nd Gen headlight wiring is completely different. The 1st gen uses a single 3 wire lo/hi bulb while the 2nd gen uses a low bulb and a high bulb separately.

What I did:

With a pair of 9004 adapter harnesses, I spliced in the harness of the second gen headlights to them. That way I kept the 1st gen headlight harness un-damaged for if I were to swap back to a 1st gen front end. Wire to the right are the head light harnesses we will be using from the second gen donor car, wires to the left will be later mentioned.

Note: The tape was for test harness in case I had to change wiring if I mismatch colors. I never recommend running them for anything longer than a short period test use. I soldered and heat wrapped the wires afterward.

The install for everything else is pretty straight forward so I will not make mention. Aka head-light bolting, grille bolting, turn signal housing bolting and lip install.

Today we make finish with install of all the before mentioned. 1st gen wiper motors will not work with bumper or headlights, swap to 2nd gen.

Here we have our newly wired headlights in action

And what everyone has been waiting for, outside exterior pics!

This is a wrap for today, more small things to address tomorrow and better light photos, but I'm going to sleep now. See ya.

Super Moderator

Halevirti,

Well done. Great piece of work. All the best with the final jobs.

Paul @ Kippen.

12. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread