Low coolant level warning
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low coolant level warning

Low coolant level warning

2008 1.9 TTid
    For about a month now I have been getting the "Bing Bong" tone and the message "Low coolant..Add coolant"
    The car only does this once during warm up (usually when the temp is between a quarter and the normal half way mark)..
    For the first dozen times it did it I raised the bonnet to check the coolant level. Its always been exactly at the correct level..
    I am assuming the culprit will be a faulty level sensor within the coolant bottle?
    What are your thoughts ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Anorak

Re: Low coolant level warning

Not personally heard of this issue before, though I suspect someone will have. I'm not even aware that the coolant tank has any form of level sensor, so if it has, that's a new one on me!

Do you know when the last time the coolant was flushed/replaced? I'm assuming it was probably done whenever the last cambelt/waterpump replacement was carried out? Is the coolant a nice shade of pink?

Yep there's a float sensor on the side of the tank , sometimes they get curdled up and can send the sperror message .
    Make sure coolant is up to the higher mark at the bottom of the arrow .
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Saab Anorak

Ya learn summat new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
    Do you know when the last time the coolant was flushed/replaced? I'm assuming it was probably done whenever the last cambelt/waterpump replacement was carried out? Is the coolant a nice shade of pink?
    They did a partial drain / replacement of the coolant when I had the cam belt / water pump done..
    I may well take upon myself to renew the lot..
    Not that I am tight but I will remove the coolant tank and give it a good shake with some hot soapy water in it before I put it back in place.

The colour of the coolant in the bottle I would describe as an off pink.. Dusky pink.. Certainly not a vibrant new type of pink..

Off pink is the new colour for this season !
    Just done my thermostat , which must of been installed by trolls
    And refilled with pink , and yes it comes out off pink
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

If you can leave this till summer more the better ....... My thinking straight off the Bat is airlock ........ The only real way to remove one of those without days of dickking about is to empty everthing follow the instructions opening the bleed valves & closing.... & deffinately not filling it at a high rate of knotts so to speak ....... Say if you were to empty everything & just do the refill proceedure with plain water & try it for a week ya would have some idea of whether it was a poorly recharged cooling system or No ? ....... Then Obv's drain everything again once you've prooved the system with a ..... Err 55% mix of antifreeze which I guess means a further 45% of water ...... Then pick the car up under ya right arm & shake it ..... Just to mix everything up ......Nahh, OK but ya can see where I'm coming from tho'..... & plain water is a tad cheaper than antifreeze & theres no trying to save the old stuff if things go Bosseyed...... Which experiance has taught me ..... Happens !

Another good point....
    It doesnt go "Bing Bong" every time but it certainly does it say 4 out of 10 cold starts...

Umm ..... I recon' ya might have to bite the bullet then ........ Dooya have large patio doors over at "SSPEED Towers"..... So we could move the sofa & work on the TTid in ya dining room or what ever? ...... I hate being cold

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread