Horn replacement...Easy job? Air horn?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Horn replacement...Easy job? Air horn?

Horn replacement...Easy job? Air horn?

Hey,

My low freq horn is on its way out, it works now and again and other times I just get a high pitched squeal coming from the engine.

I'm a frequent user of the horn My thought on it being on its way out is, if i'm going to replace it, I may aswell upgrade it while i'm at it. So, thinking about fitting an air horn.

Has anyone done this before?

My understanding of changing the horn, like for like is simply changing the horn over as the relay etc is in place. What it be any different for an air horn providing it was still 12v?

Any help is appreciated.

- 2007 Saab 9-3 Anniversary, 1.9TiD 150.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado

Re: Horn replacement...Easy job? Air horn?

A frequent user of your horn? Why?........I think I've sounded mine about twice in 5 years!, Sorry, it's been sounded 5 times more than that at MoT's.

Be aware, if you start mucking about changing the standard horn for some strange sounding air horn, you may well be scrutinised for it at MoT time, the Rozzers definitely don't like it and gives them an excuse to pull you and start looking for other stuff if they hear it.

Nope, my advice is, just stick to a standard replacement:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SAAB-9...oAAOSwt5hYgi1L

Lay off the horn, save it for emergency use only (as the law requires) and it will outlive the car......

Saab Nut

As a road rage enthusiast i would like a louder horn too. I might look into getting an air horn, should be a straight swap i would have thought although it may need a hole drilling for its mounting bracket.

It's a good job you used your horn Godber , so you relished it was going wobbly .
    Nothing worse than it failing on horn not working .
    You cold always go for something out of the Dukes of Hazzard . " nerr , nerr nerr nerr nerr Noise
    Or something out of zippos flying circus, where the doors fall off the car type thing errrrrrerrrrerrrr!noise
    image.jpg
    Last edited by lizzard-t; 02-15-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Thank you for all your reply's.

Thanks for the advice Caddyman but my horn usage is not a driving habit i'm likely to change quickly, it all depends on whether the MAN will ban people for driving like pillocks!

C2Kev - As a fellow enthusiast it is something I've considered for a while now but I feel there is more of an excuse now. No issues drilling holes for a mount as long as there isn't too much re-wiring needed.

lizzard-t - You raise a very good point. As for the old style, I've looked at this and contemplated it. - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...imer--ooogaah-

I think i'll get a 2/3 air horn set up and see how it goes, it doesn't seem like its been documented before on any saab forum so i'll be sure to post it up when I get round to doing it.

That link you gave Godber is exactly what I was after I got the explanation of the noise wrong .
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

I'm really, really trying hard (Oooh MATRON) not to make a Uncouth comment about the "Horn"

Me If I had to replace mine.... I'd go air ..... F'kem .... If theys worth a blast... lettem have it .....
    The last time I looked it had to be less than 110Db @ 2 meters .... So yas Masarati TS Sprint .... Halfords fodder will do the job .......But RTFM! if you don't bother with the relay, ya in car circuits will be toast! ..... Which will cost yas ass a bloody fortune!

Thanks for your reply J..M

I'm definitely set on going with an air horn now.

I thought I had the fitting down but you've thrown a spanner in the works with the relay, from what i've read on the forums the horn is already hooked up to a relay and as a result I can just switch out the horns. Is this not true?

I guess you need to know the rating of the existing relay & the load the compressor will require for your hooters ........ Sorry about the vague answer, but I have never looked into this kind of stuff in a big way ......

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TWIN-TONE-AIR...UAAOxykYtSIIah

This kit comes with complete instructions & relay, which 'I' think, you may well need...... Umm it is a tad expensive tho'..... Quality costs I'm afraid

That is... eye watering.

This was more what i had in mind haha - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-DUAL-...kAAOSwFNZW0gR~

Comes complete with fixing kit: Air horn, compressor, relay, tubing, fitting nuts and bolts, instuctions and wiring diagram.

Fair doo's ...... It does teh same job ....... Grab one & read the instructions ...... If ya need..... Drop us Saab'ites .... A line .... We are all here to help

Finally got round to doing this at the weekend, thanks to the amazing weather!

For anyone that is interested in doing this, it was very simple and no relay was needed, just piggybacked off the existing horn, hooked it up and fitted.

It now sounds like a train - Looking for some longer air horns next to get a deeper tone.

20170325_170158_Small.jpg

I think you'll find it might/will fail an MOT..
    My 9-3 audio,2 x cd changers,aux-in & Bluetooth audio streaming..

Is still running Factory oe coils with a tune..

16. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread