Doubts about new front springs
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doubts about new front springs

Doubts about new front springs

Today I've had new front springs fitted to my 56 plate TiD 150 Vector Sport SW following a breakage. According to the invoice the ones they've fitted are part no. 93190594. They feel softer than the old ones to me, and they certainly look different (narrower diameter spring all the way up rather than just the bottom coil). Can anyone tell me part no. 93190594 is supposed to be for the standard or sports chassis? (Car's VIN label has 4 as the code for the front springs.) Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Doubts about new front springs

Part numbers are ( there may be more )
    93190594-standard springs w/o sports chassis petrol manual red and white colour spot .
    93190595 - all petrols ( w/o sports chassis )
    93190608-12786393-12759519 -sports chassis
    93190593 - used w/o sports chassis ( standard height)
    93190596 - all diesels 1.9 8v , 1.9 16v 2.2 w/o sports chassis .
    If they feel softer could be that your dampers may be wearing .?
    There should of been a colour sport on the old springs to match up .
    It's a bit of a minefield .
    Last edited by lizzard-t; 02-07-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Thanks. That would seem to confirm my suspicion that standard rather than sports springs have been fitted. The old springs had 4 colour dots: white blue white white, whereas the new ones have no visible dots at all.

Saab Afficionado

My obvious first question is, how many miles on this car?

Putting in brand new coil springs on worn dampers isn't a perfect recipe for great ride or handling.

Who fitted these springs and how did they decide which part number springs to fit? When I replaced the springs (along with shocks), the original part number springs were no longer available for my car, so I just tipped for the standard genuine GM diesel car springs 93190596 as mine is a non sport chassis.

Saab Afficionado

Quote Originally Posted by krjh View Post
    Thanks. That would seem to confirm my suspicion that standard rather than sports springs have been fitted. The old springs had 4 colour dots: white blue white white, whereas the new ones have no visible dots at all.
    If genuine GM springs were fitted, they will have colour coded dots on them. The link below are the identical springs I fitted to my own car:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SA...AAAOxyHE5Rn3Oo

Saab Afficionado

Saab Nut

These are the springs i removed from my Aero TTiD. Its easy to get the wrong springs for these cars. The shorter spring was the correct part. I guess the longer was from a non sport Tid.

Saab Afficionado

Quote Originally Posted by c2kev View Post
    These are the springs i removed from my Aero TTiD. Its easy to get the wrong springs for these cars. The shorter spring was the correct part. I guess the longer was from a non sport Tid.
    Am I correct in thinking that these two different length coil springs were originally fitted to your car, a long one on one side and the shorter on the other? How did that happen? I take it this would have been a classic example of one broken spring and so someone else fitted the wrong replacement?

I think you have had the springs from petrol version fitted ( white and red ) fitted
    Where as should of been as in the link ( white and blue ) fitted for Diesel engine ( heavier unit over the front axel !
    MSD REGISTER 26101 NOCTURNO-BLAU-MET

Thanks guys. I've discussed with the garage (it's an ex Saab main dealer so you'd hope should know what they're doing) and they say my VIN shows I have a standard chassis and their system only shows the one obtainable part number for all variants, which is what they fitted. They mentioned they get their parts from Orio so I've been perusing the Orio parts catalog online (looks quite a handy resource that I was unaware of - link at the bottom.

I've found that under part no. 93190596. stated as white-blue it lists CODE=4 which matches my chassis code. This would appear to show I have a standard chassis after all. It looks like code 4 only existed in 2006.

Checking further, my chassis code starts 4-AL-4- 3- . I can see a rear spring part no. for code AL which also indicates standard chassis. However, looking under anti-roll bars, front code 4 seems to be 25mm sports chassis, and code 3 isn't given for the rear, only code 2 (listed as sports chassis.) It sort of looks like I have a hybrid set-up with standard springs and sports anti-roll bars!

Anyhow, I think the answer is to get the white-blue 93190596 springs from the link Caddyman posted and get the garage to fit those, which they've said they'll do.

https://portal.orio.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?sType=SimpleSearch&urlRequestType=Ba se&catalogId=10051&categoryId=143849&showResultsPa ge=true&pageView=detailed&urlLangId=-150&beginIndex=0&resultCatEntryType=&langId=-150&sortField=name&orderBy=7&removeFiltersOg=ALL&s toreId=11901

Last edited by krjh; 02-08-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Saab Afficionado

krjh,

Does this mean that the garage will refund the cost of the springs they fitted? and will they refit the springs 93190596 at no further charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
    krjh,

Does this mean that the garage will refund the cost of the springs they fitted? and will they refit the springs 93190596 at no further charge?
    a) Hope so, but to be discussed. b) Yes.

Saab Nut

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that these two different length coil springs were originally fitted to your car, a long one on one side and the shorter on the other? How did that happen? I take it this would have been a classic example of one broken spring and so someone else fitted the wrong replacement?
    Exactly that, it had a new spring fitted for the MOT just before i bought it

Saab Afficionado

Quote Originally Posted by c2kev View Post
    Exactly that, it had a new spring fitted for the MOT just before i bought it
    At least you sorted the problem. Whilst realising the issue had nothing to do with you at the time as it was before you owned the car, it just goes to prove two things, 1. that even mechanics get it wrong selecting the wrong part numbers or just going 'generic' and 2. shows you should never replace just one side when a coil spring does break, though again, even as in krjh's case, the wrong part can still be obtained/fitted by mechanics, though it doesn't help one bit when several different coil springs can seemingly be 'correct' for a particular year/model.

Keeping fingers crossed for krjh that his own issue is sorted to his satisfaction.

I think they should make Saab springs outta diamond or summink ...... They do tend to fracture with annoying regularity........... Or is it just me that drives my car like the General Lee on the Dukes of Hazzard ?

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast