Ruined engine; shop responsible?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ruined engine; shop responsible?

Saab Newbie

Ruined engine; shop responsible?

Hi all,

Essentially a shop tells me my engine is ruined and I'm curious if they should be held accountable for ruining the engine when it was running when I brought it in.

Long story:
    My 2001 9-5 was tapping a few weeks ago but I really had to get home, so I checked the oil level and risked it on the freeway. Well, a little ways out, the oil pressure light came on. I immediately pulled over and shut off the engine and called a tow truck. I told him what the problem was, and he still started the car to drive it onto the flatbed. I had it towed to a local shop, and spoke to the guy on the phone. I had just had the oil changed so I was hoping maybe it was just a bad filter. The guy said he'd change the oil and put a new filter in and see if it gets better. So next morning he calls me back, says the oil change didn't do anything, it's still tapping, so he was going to drop the pan and see what was in there. Next day he calls me back and says the engine is completely seized up, he tried to crank it manually to unstick it but that didn't work, and he was going to try who knows what else to fix it. Days later I get a hold of him again and he says it is totally ruined and needs a new engine. He said the pan was clean, and the problem was the oil pump.

How much of this should the shop be held responsible for? Granted the car was not in great shape when it got there, but it wasn't ruined yet, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Anorak

Re: Ruined engine; shop responsible?

The fact you had the oil level light come on means that damage had already been done and the engine knock was almost certainly damaged bearings and scored crank.
    As to the statement regarding the oil pump and sump drop that frankly doesnt sound right...the oil pump is mechanical so I dont know how that would fail also your symptoms are that of oil starvation and i would have expected to see the strainer clogged.
    If your mechanic has indeed dropped the sump then logically he would not have put it back if the engine was seized.
    I would want to see the failed oil pump and the sump with my own eyes.....now that would be interesting indeed.

Saab Newbie

Yeah I also thought that seemed strange. I do not 100% recall the order of events, maybe he is just saying he inspected the pan because he told me he was going to but then it failed? I was also very sure that it must be the sludge problem until he said that. He also said something like junkyards in the area won't sell him a used engine because of the cars reputation for bad oil pumps in this model????

Those oil pumps were not good GM cheapened them with the 95. Reverted back to the old style around 2004-5. Still used the same part number, but an exam of each reveals a real difference.

6. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread