Car suddenly started hesitating then died
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car suddenly started hesitating then died

Saab Junior

Car suddenly started hesitating then died

Hi

with no prior warning car started hesitating in traffic when moving but returned to idle ok. Then hesitated worse so I got to the kerb and turned off. Now wont restart. Very similar to warnings before car runs out of petrol but car has plenty of fuel

9-5 3 estate turbo manual year 2000

Any ideas before I call breakdown?

Check engine light was on but it has been for over five years and a computer analysis back then revealed only a vague notion to do with the ignition as I recall. But its done thousands of miles since then.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Re: Car suddenly started hesitating then died

nick,

Sounds like the DI cassette has failed. Worth getting the cel checked out though.

Paul @ Kippen

Saab Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Anderson View Post
    nick,

Sounds like the DI cassette has failed. Worth getting the cel checked out though.

Paul @ Kippen
    yes, ive dug out a spare DI that i took out years ago and replaced because I had a check light and i kind of panicked. There's a good chance it might actually be ok as when I put the new DI in the light came back on within days anyway. Im going to go back to the car tomorrow and try it

the light when checked out by a friendly garage years back gave a vague code indicating some kind of electric issue but as I say i driven it with the light for many years now without problems.

thx

n

Saab Junior

nick,

Paul @ Kippen
    Changed DI cassette, no joy. Awaiting RAC

N

Saab Junior

Quote Originally Posted by nickharman View Post
    Changed DI cassette, no joy. Awaiting RAC

N
    Car started first time when RAC tried it. Runs fine. Grrrrrr! Talk about embarrassing.

Must have been crap in fuel line? but why it wouldn't start for me but start for the RAC is a mystery.

Still, I will now leave the spare DI cassette in the car with a torque screwdriver just in case

n

Super Moderator

nick,

Since it started when the RAC Guy tried points to a failing crank position sensor ( cps ). These tend to increase in resistance as they warm so can be out of spec when the engine is hot but OK once it cools down again. Should be 860 +/- 90 ohms.

Paul @ Kippen.

Saab Junior

nick,

Since it started when the RAC Guy tried points to a failing crank position sensor ( cps ). These tend to increase in resistance as they warm so can be out of spec when the engine is hot but OK once it cools down again. Should be 860 +/- 90 ohms.

Paul @ Kippen.
    Interesting although it would not start for me and had been sitting outside for 12 hrs so should have been cool enough!

Super Moderator

nick,

Probably not the cps then. Possibly the petrol pump then. You should hear it run for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition. Lift the rear seat squab ( bit you sit on ) and have an assistant turn it on while you listen. Also check the pressure at the fuel rail. Look for the cover over the valve on the fuel rail. It looks like a tyre valve and you press in the pin with a small screwdriver. Should get a decent spurt.

Generally a failing cps only gives problems on hot starting, not while running.

Paul @ Kippen.

Saab Junior

Thanks

I had one other thought.

I took an old DI cassette down to the car, I did not carry it prongs down but at an angle for 30 mins, so when I put it on the car it had not had the recommended time in the correct upright position. I wonder if that is why the car did not start then but did start 90 mins later when the RAC turned up?

I guess Ill only find out by putting the previous DI back on (after letting it sit for an hr at the correct position)

nick,

Probably not the cps then. Possibly the petrol pump then. You should hear it run for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition. Lift the rear seat squab ( bit you sit on ) and have an assistant turn it on while you listen. Also check the pressure at the fuel rail. Look for the cover over the valve on the fuel rail. It looks like a tyre valve and you press in the pin with a small screwdriver. Should get a decent spurt.

Generally a failing cps only gives problems on hot starting, not while running.

Paul @ Kippen.

11. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread