Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Saab back?

Tags
back
4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  sianderson 
#1 ·
http://www.saabplanet.com/saab-ab-returns-to-the-automotive-industry/

I do hope so. Iconic brand to just fade away doesn't seem right.

Bought a 2016 Volvo S40 as could not find anything else i liked, something about Swedish cars, and yes i know he parent company is Chinese but the cars feel like Volvo's/Swedish cars still. The sale guy said he gets a lot of Saab owners though the doors.

9-3 not going 2003 9-3ss AERO with Noobtune and uprated suspension is still too much fun and cannot part with it. now our second car and will be getting some tlc next year. passed another MOT with only advisory a corroded exhaust, same advisory as last year - of course it rusty, that what they do.....

#2 ·
I saw this as well Zohan. Sadly I don't think it's anything to be too excited about just yet as they are just talking about providing IT systems for automotive companies with a new company they are going to setup using systems they currently use in aircraft. But who knows, it may develop from there. It would be fantastic if it did. Would be nice to see new original SAAB's being made once again for the road!

In the meantime I'm going to work on my new 900 project and try to keep her good for as long as possible. :)

#3 ·
I do however find it amusing that Turkey's 'National Car' will effectively be the Cadillac BLS, well, the front end anyway. I read right at the end that someone believed it looked like the CTS and whilst the front end of the BLS and CTS look similar, Saab didn't build the CTS. As I understand it, Turkey acquired the rights to use the Cadillac BLS design from Saab or GM. It appears the powertrain will be electric.

Anyway, I'm still loving my Saabillac, one of the best cars I've ever owned.

#4 ·
would definitely love a new saab mainly for the power of the petrol engines, there is just a big gap in the middle of the vauxhall range i have a 140bhp insignia that does seem a bit under powered (it will do though), then it jumps to 250bhp (and all the expense that comes with it)

but its nice knowing i have 2 years without MOT's, and 3 years warranty on the car, plus road tax is £110 instead of £300 of the convertible so not regretting moving away from the saab, just wish they did new ones then i would be back lol

#5 ·
Can you not get your new car tuned Si? I would've thought something in the region of 20 - 30 BHP increase would be feasible. VW were achieving 170 BHP there abouts as standard with the petrol 1.4 turbo on VW GTI, Skoda vRS & Seat FR's. But I guess it depends on the turbo etc tat Vauxhall have used.

#6 ·
thats true tuning maybe an option 160 - 170 maybe achievable if you consider a standard 1.4 engine would give you around 90 - 95 bhp, so having the turbo im already getting a lift of 45bhp, the only issue i have is the car is under warranty so im loathed to make any sort of changes like that to my car i was hoping there would have been a standard option of that sort of level from vauxhall, dont get me wrong it happily sits at 70 - 80 on the motorways with ease just feel like it struggles more up hills that the saab did, even though its a lighter car and 10 less bhp lol

#7 ·
Understandable. I just wasn't sure if there was an official tuning route you could do with Vauxhall, like the Hirsch one that's available for SAAB. Though I've never heard of anything like that for Vauxhall, but it's never something I've looked into for the brand to be honest. Could be worth asking around. Or even see if there's a Maptun method where you could reload the standard map again if need be.

If not I guess patience will be required until your by the warranty period unfortunately :(

By the way, any pics of the car? I've always liked the Insignia! :)

#8 ·
i think the vauxhall version of Hirsh is Irmscher, just looked at their site and they sell a kit for around £560 that would take it to 160 bhp but they do state this "The changes in design and / or performance may void the warranty of the customer vehicle, and road traffic, insurance and have tax implications"

#9 ·
the insignia is based on the epsilon 2 platform same as the 2010 9-5 i believe

#10 ·
Lovely car Si. With regard to the Irmscher upgrade, it might be worth speaking to Vauxhall direct and see what their take is on it. If they say yes then go for it, but if they say no then it'll just be a case of wait until the warranty runs out unfortunately. Although do Vauxhall not do a lifetime warranty now with their cars up to 100k miles?

#11 ·
you are correct but it only stands for the 1st owner of the car

"The warranty is valid for the first registered owner of the vehicle who bought the vehicle at a Vauxhall Authorised Retailer."

i am the 2nd owner of it therefore i just get the standard 3 year warranty (2 years remaining)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.