Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Would you ever consider a NEVS 9-3

Tags
nevs
3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  APC900 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just wondering how people will feel about any new cars that may or may not ever come out of NEVS?

Would you consider buying an electric NEVS 9-3?

How do you feel about NEVS in general? Do you feel that they still have SAAB DNA in them?

Personally, I`m quite a recent convert to SAAB so to me a SAAB is a GM era car with the griffin logo and SAAB written on it. NEVS no longer use the SAAB name or logo but I suppose that the first electric 9-3's will still have SAAB parts in them and still have SAAB styling.

Frank.

#2 ·
NEV_er heard of them before frank but just looked at the 9_3 leccy on there website, still got traditional saab design , so cant see whats not to like, lets face it all cars will be electric in 20 yrs time I reckon , maybe even hydro powered , who knows ? So yep its got my vote.nice to see a traditional design carried on .

#3 ·
I was sold on the 9-3 shape back in 2003 now on my third ( 57 plate face lift ) and this is by far the best looking car I have owned .
So in my mind yes I would consider
Loosing SAAB as a name was sad , but looking at nevs first car an electric 9-3 , everyone is just going to ref it as a saab 9-3 so the name will live on .in people's minds

#5 ·
I think I prefer the NG900/9-3 era back when the 9-3 had more in common with the 9-5. It was like choosing the same car only big (9-3) or bigger (9-5) but I changed my mind when I saw the newer 9-3's with the clam-shell bonnet, they are very nice looking cards. I also think the early 9440 models seem to have very cheap plastic interiors, but I hear that was improved in the later models.

Frank.

#4 ·
Long story short...

SAAB was losing money...
GM sold SAAB to Spyker
SAAB kept losing money...
Spyker/SAAB went bust
Parts of SAAB were purchased by a Chinese company called NEVS (National Electric Vehicle Sweden)

Because of all of this, Scania (remember SAAB Scania?) withdrew the right to use the Griffen logo.
Somewhere around this time the SAAB aeroplane company also withdrew the rights to use their name.

Some purists will of course claim that the GM era cars were never true SAABs anyway but they're all I`ve ever really known.
Of course, most of it boils down to brand loyalty. SAAB are quite well known for having very good brand loyalty but the brand won't be called SAAB anymore so I was just trying to gauge how far that loyalty might stretch.

As it happens, I have no issue with electric cars and I agree that the time of Petrol or Diesel is basically over.

Frank.

#11 ·
You forgot to add, that it didn't help Saab one iota when it is alleged, that GM practically forced Saab to build the Cadillac BLS in all the petrol and diesel guises that the 9-3 came in just with a different body look from the windshields down.

And that is really the only difference at all between the Cadillac BLS and the Saab 9-3, the body shape. Almost everything else under that body shell is identical to the 9-3. Thankfully, I don't even have to worry whether or not the front or rear windscreens break, they are a direct fit for the 9-3, it's just the body panels that would be a total toe rag to sort out.

I believe though, that Turkey have done some sort of deal to use the BLS as a platform for their new 'National' car, which will evidently be electric:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...r-than-a-tesla-says-countrys-science-minister

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/10/electric-saab-9-3-lives-turkeys-national-car/

Now if this project gets off the ground, I'd be more than happy to get my hands on one!

As it stands at the moment though, I'm still loving my Saab built motor and the ready supply of parts, whether they be GM/Saab/Fiat branded, are all helping to keep the beast on the road.

#6 ·
Shame about loosing saab logo, who knows maybe someday some rich cat may decide to resurect saab !like frank said ive always been bmw but im hooked on me 93 2.2 tid now for all its clangs and rattles, nice compact size , and a design that doesnt look like every other run of the mill motor built these days.much rather spend money on an older classic looking car than waste in on a new piece of plastic, me old bmw 5 series ,26 yrs old with 337,000 miles on the clock and still running ,2 ltr petrol.so if nev keeps that classic shape I can't fault it.

#7 ·
I`ve had a few cars over the years but I`ve settled on SAABs now. Back when they went bankrupt, I started thinking about what I might buy next but I just couldn't think of anything.
Since I`m hooked on SAABs, my girlfriend now has one, then my Dad bought one and then even my sister felt left out!

Frank.

#8 ·
After nearly 20 years of private ownership I would find it hard to change I'm afraid.

They are not for everybody but they suit me as I want to do as much of my own maintenance and repair work as I can myself.
Do I really want to go through the learning curves with say Audi or BMW...no not really

I doubt I would consider a NEVS vehicle though..........its a 9-3 with batteries and certainly wont be cheap if it is ever available in the UK.
Do we have any Saab owners who have even driven any kind of electric vehicle I wonder?Golf buggy excluded.

Maybe in another 10-20 years as no one is predicting an oil crisis anymore...and if its about the environment fine but the cost differential and practicality doesnt work for me..

#10 · (Edited)
i have always said that untill a full electric car can do 300 miles it really wouldnt suit my needs, i wouldnt have an issue with doing a full charge over night while the car is sat on the drive,

my daily mileage is only normally around 10 miles (so im thinking brilliant i would suit a full electric 95% of what i drive), however there are times for work that i would be required to drive to places usually within 100 mile radius of the office so 200 miles there and back and since its support calls time is fairly critical or in the instance like yesterday we wanted to buy a new dining table for the house, but ikea only had one in the country of the exact one we were after so we ended up doing a 300 mile drive just to go and get it so we spent most of the day in the car, if we had to stop to charge the car up for a few hours (although having said this i know ikea have dedicated charging points on their car park which would help) i would imagine it would have made the whole experience much more draining and possibly to the point of reconsidering doing it

now onto the Nevs EV, if they were freely available in the UK, like Saab were with dealerships then i would seriously consider it (assuming the range was suffient by that time) and the price was right, although i have never bought a new saab, my first two were only 12 months old so i wouldnt be adverse to buying a car around the 17k mark

i think i have settled now on what car im going to change my Saab for now in around a years time, i think its a fairly safe bet to get a Vauxhall Insignia as a 93 replacement style car, as you can see from my history i have been brought up with Vauxhall (GM) so to me it makes sense as they are around the right sort of price and easily accessible, but if NEVS had cars here i would definitely be looking at them also and judge them based on their merit of how close they are to an original saab, but i think you would have to assume they are a new brand and nothing like a Saab

#12 · (Edited)
If it's brand loyalty , then I will certainly trade up in 2-3 years time to I think a 2011 my whici think is the last of the last .
If it's battery powered cars in general then , I would consider a hybrid rather than battery only .
As sianderson explains range in those battery's is limited .
Think top gear did a test on 2 small hatchbacks with battery's . And as long as you kept them within there range then that's fine , but any further than that and you could be stuck .
At the moment Thease cars are very expensive to purchase but you do get £5000 off the government and zero road tax .
I don't think in my lifetime we will run out of petrol or diesel , I just think the manufacters are trying to tempt us away .
The one that catches my eye is the BMW i8
But then I'm going completely off the question .
As a side note if we are on about brand loyalty , you cannot get better than were you are now , for we as members are keeping everything About saab alive ( the brand. The name the logo. The cars .)
As long as there are saabs on the road ( or off the road being restored)
And Saabscene exsists thanks to its members then
LONG LIVE SAAB AND ALL WHO SAIL ABOARD THE GOOD SHIP

#14 ·
I'm afraid NEVS is it's own worst enemy as far as getting the brand recognized as still 'breathing' a bit.
As an avid simracer and Saab enthusiast, I first spoke to one of the top simulation companies just to see if there was any interest in them taking a look at offering Saabs in a racing simulation.
They were genuinely interested.
I then sought out the PR guy at NEVS and sent him a nice letter detailing the design house's interest.
I got a 'nice' polite form letter back.... stating they were not interested.
If nothing more, it would have let people know the brand was not entirely dead.
It could have also 'sparked' interest in the brand and opened the door to a whole new group of enthusiast...even those who only care about 'green' cars.
That same design house has just licensed Porsche cars.
I saw it as a wasted opportunity.
Much as I love Saabs (...and I have three in my household) they could never survive today without a major compromise of who they were.
They chose not to... and they died.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.