Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

timing chain

Tags
chain timing
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  203122 
#1 ·
Hi saabers,just recently got a 9-3 2.2 vtid no history at all,done the usual jobs ie oil ,filters map maf sensor,yet to do egr valve clean and inlet manifold clean heard these soot up,doing gearbox and diff oil next.am just wondering its done 140 thou,and engine runs smooth ,slight whistle from turbo and im sure i can hear a slight bearing rattle when i put foot down hard,which im not to worried about,im more concerned about timing chain due to mileage,wen my mechanic to check it for wear he said not to worry because any problems my engine warning light would cone on ! Just wondering overalll how long these chains last and if theres any warning signs of wear ,ie rattle smoke etc.jive run bmw's beforevand never looked at chain on my last 5 series,that had done 337,thou. Also is it engine knackered if they snap on thde saab.thankyou

#3 ·
If those chains are anything like the vectras , then you would get an early warning . When you start it up you would get a rattling sound very mild at first and would get louder . It's nirmally the tensioners that start to fail , in the end it will jump teeth , then it's " by by " . It was a problem on the 2.2 vectra petrols .
But there's a lot of early warnings .

#5 ·
Nice one guys, mines a diesel so hopefully bit hardier engine, if she makes 200,000 I will treat her to a new chain.guessing the slight occassional rattle under pressure is a turbo bearing or somet, it does whistle a bit as you wind it up.thankyou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.