Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

2.2tid owners

Tags
22tid owners
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Poxleeds 
#1 ·
Evening all,

long time since I posted on here so I'll make it a short one.

2.2tids, it may just be me but I'm sure mine never used to make any strange noises when lifting off the throttle, and now it almost sounds like a chavvy dump valve has been fitted, maybe my memories failing me......

Pox

#2 · (Edited)
Hi there, I'm a 2.2 tid owner (last 3 years).

Mine doesn't do that, but it used to do something similar. It used to make a kind of a 'chavvy dump valve' sound & lose power when dipping the accelerator.
Turned out to be a swirl flap problem, as when I un-plugged the swirl valve actuator solenoid the problem went away.

I checked all the vacuum pipes & they were all fine, then I removed the inlet manifold & swirl flap mounting plate, gave it all a good clean up (it was full of crud). Made sure swirl flaps were moving nice & freely, bolted it all back down (new gaskets) & re-connected everything, but it didn't solve the problem :confused:

Then tried a new (second hand) actuator & it still didn't solve the problem, so ended up just leaving the actuator unplugged, which leaves the swirl flaps permanently open & haven't had a problem since.
Who needs swirl flaps anyway, they're just a gimmick aren't they? ;) ......& eventually they just break apart & drop into the head & trash your engine (BMW owners know all too well about this phenomenon).

P.S......it does bring the mil light on & cause code P0660, but my mil light doesn't work....so no problem with MOTs :)

#3 ·
Finally got reset and back in!

Did what you suggested, noise gone and eml on with code P0660, cheers for that, much appreciated.

Currently on drive with subframe in garage, poly bushes to replace old shot ones, just awaiting back and shoulder to repair before refit!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.