Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

WIS x64

Tags
wis x64
42K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  ThreeMinutesPastNine 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I`ve always been a bit bothered by having the EPC & WIS not installable on 64 Bit machines, so I`ve finally got off my lazy back side and done something about.

I`ve created a quick installation to install the 2013 WIS on a 64 Bit machine and a small Registry patch to be installed afterwards (shouldn't be necessary but for some reason I can't seem to capture the installation directories properly).

It's a native install that doesn't require VM's or XP mode.

Before releasing it into the wild, It'd like some beta testers just to make sure that everything works. Once we're all happy that it's working, I`ll then get to work on the EPC.

It's a large file (3.3Gb ZIP), so I`ll probably use something like Dropbox to distribute the file to you.

Frank.

PS, I`ve currently tested it on Windows 10 (build 1511) x64 & Windows 8.1 x64

See less See more
#9 ·
PROGRESS REPORT.

I`ve been able to compile the installation into one massive file now, much cleaner in my opinion.
I`ve also been able to do some pretty heavy compression, the whole installation file is only 2.58GB now! When installed, the WIS takes up 4.32GB so that's some good compression.
Still have the issue requiring the Registry patch after installation. I do now understand why the issue is occurring, I just don't know what to do about it yet.

Frank.

#10 ·
PROGRESS REPORT #2

The issue involving the Registry patch has now been resolved. No more patching required after installation!

Some feedback received indicates an error message on installation that can be 'Ignored' and the installation will continue and work fine afterwards. I believe this is related to the installation of Macromedia Shockwave and probably only appears on 'used' computer as opposed to fresh installations.

I have been able to install it on the following test machines:-

Windows 10 x64 (old installation) - No Errors - Works fine
Windows 8.1 x64 (fresh installation) - No Errors - Works fine
Windows 10 x86 (fresh installation) - No Errors - Works fine
Windows 7 x86 (old installation) - Ignored Error - Works fine

If everyone is happy with this installation, I will turn my attention to the EPC.

Frank.

#12 ·
PROGRESS REPORT #3

The issues regarding errors that can be ignored has now been traced to the Shockwave installation included in the package. I will investigate the possibility of bypassing the shockwave installation if Shockwave is already found on the target computer.

In preparation for me moving onto the EPC, does anyone know of/have the latest version of the EPC? There appears to exist a 2010 Q4 (sometimes called 11-2010) and also a version that contains the new 9-5 (9650) but I can't seem to find any downloads. I have a copy of 2010 Q3, but I`d much rather just do this once with the latest version.

Frank.

#14 ·
PROGRESS REPORT #4

The last version did not entirely fix the Shockwave errors on installation (2 remained, the other 5 or so were sorted), but I think I`ve sorted these now too.

After extensive searches, I managed to find the WIS for the ng900! It has now been integrated into my package! Download size is now 2.84Gb with the installed size being a whopping 4.87Gb.

The included vehicles are as follows:-

900 (1994-1998)
9-3 9400 (1998-2003)
9-3 9440 (2003-2012)
9-4x (2011)
9-5 9600 (1998-2010)
9-5 9650 (2010-2011)

I would really appreciate a copy of the 9-2x WIS if anyone has it...

Frank.

#16 ·
Excellent work Captainfrank , just to let you know Ive read your PMs to me and the links which I'm very greatful for , also the time and effort you have put into all this . I work awAy all week , so now I'm home I'll . Install the wis ,
Once again a big thankyou from me personally for all you have done .

#18 · (Edited)
I`m happy to report that the 2010-4 version (the latest as far as I`m aware) is currently being uploaded as I type this!

It covers the following models & Years:-

900 - 86-98
9000 - 85-98
9-3 (9400) - 98-03
9-3 (9440) - 03-11
9-5 (9600) - 98-10
9-5 (650) - 10-11

If anyone would like to beta test this installation too, just PM me and I`ll send a link.
I`ve currently tested this on 2 Windows 10 x64 machine but nothing else at present.

<update>I`d just like to point out that this is the EPC I`m talking about!</update>

Frank.

#23 ·
Some info for people with Non-English versions of Windows:- You will be required to make a 'Users' group on your computer for the WIS to install properly. This can probably be removed afterwards and if I ever get round to re-doing the installation packages, I`ll make sure it's not needed..

Font Text Blue Line Graphic design
Text Font Document Paper Plant
Text Blue Font Line Screenshot
Text Blue Font Line Screenshot
Text Blue Font Web page Line

#24 ·
The Latest version of my installation is now ready.

This latest (and possibly final) version has the following fixes.....

1. Should have no more issues with non-English versions of Windows
2. Changes the shortcut(s) from advertised to standard, this should stop re-installs being required after large Windows 10 updates
3. Adds a shortcut to the Desktop after installation making it more obvious that it has finished.
4. Includes the extra PDF documents for the 900 (Service Information, Modification Information & Technical News) that aren't actually installed by the original installer! Please see the note below.

The installation still takes a long time to install, it is a LARGE program! When installed, it occupies 4.85GB but the installation file is compressed down to just 2.55GB. This saves on download times but requires longer to install. The installer still exhibits the same behaviour when installing eg, sits at 0 seconds remaining for ages - this is to be considered normal, when finished, the installer closes and now leaves a new icon on your Desktop.

GM900 note. This WIS now contains additional files for the GM900. These files are PDF's that download from the WIS into either your default browser or whatever other program that is associated with PDF's. 2 of my machines crash when the WIS tries to start the download but any fresh install of Windows that I`ve installed the WIS to works fine. I therefore believe that there is nothing wrong with the installation per say, but there is something wrong with my other machines. I haven't been able to work out what is causing it yet - it seems to be related to the WisView.OCX calling MFC42.DLL which is a VC++ DLL. I suspect that some Visual C++ updates might be causing this. I have successfully installed the WIS onto fresh Windows 7 & 10 computer and it works perfectly so there must be something else installed on my other machines that is interfering in some way.

PM me for the download link.

Frank.

#26 ·
Latest version of the EPC is now online.

Nothing much has changed, I`ve just added a desktop shortcut to make it obvious that the installation has finished and also changed the shortcuts from advertised to standard for similar reason as listed in my WIS update.

PM me for the link.

Frank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.