Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

2002 9-3 Cabrio Brake 'Clunk'

Tags
cabrio clunk
4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Paul Anderson 
#1 ·
Guys,

Mrs P @ K's Cabrio has recently developed a 'clunk' when the brakes are applied. Coasting downhill with repeated applications only gives a clunk on the first application. If the throttle is applied then it will clunk again.

I have taken of the front wheel and found that there is a little movement between the disc and the hub. The disc is retained by a parallel sided allen headed bolt which fits through a hole in the disc centre. It doesn't appear to actually hold the disc against the hub. Anyone know whether the bolt should fit snuggly through the hole ? I would have assumed that the wheel bolts should have exerted sufficient 'pinch' action to prevent movement. Any ideas ?

Paul @ Kippen.

#3 ·
aerojon,

I just replaced the track control arm for the MOT about a month ago so all is good in that area. With the wheel off I can replicate the 'clunk' by twisting the drive shaft manually. I have opened the spider joint boot to check the condition there and vacuumed out the admittedly liquefied grease. Replaced with fresh moly grease and the clunk is still present. I'm pretty sure it's the movement of the disc relative to the hub and wheel. It may be that I need to replace the disc and retaining bolt though I would have thought that the 'pinch' action of the wheel should have prevented any movement of the disc relative to the hub and wheel.

Paul @ Kippen.

#4 ·
Guys,

Got the bu88er ! Tried different wheels since we had an episode of loose wheel nuts on that side a while ago and I wondered if the bolt holes had become elongated. Took the pads out - all in order. Checked the steering rack brace, the strut top, broken spring, levered everything I could get a pry bar near - nothing. Back to basics, check for loose bolts. Only the radius arm to subframe bolt wasn't as tight as it could have been. Not loose but I did manage to get about 1/2 a turn on it.

Noise gone !

Paul @ Kippen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.