Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

ODB P400 - EGR clean but car doesn't start now.

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cjapeterborough 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all.
I hope somebody can give some clues on what to do next.
Basically, over the last few weeks I have had the EML on and off.
The code read by the OBD was always P0400, after some research here on the Forum and following some guides (http://www.saabscene.com/forum/thre...lean-EGR-valve-on-1.9-TiD-8v-(120bhp)-engine) I bought some carb cleaner, remove the EGR and gave it a clean.
The car I have got is the Saab 9-3 TDI (150bhp).
IT was a bit clogged with carbon, so tried to get it clean.
Auto part

Removed those screws and noticed that in top of the spring, the cap was loosen, ie what was supposed to be closing the egr I guess when the engine is cold, because is loosen now is not pulling the axle outwards.
I mounted everything back on the engine (after clean), all screws are now fasten, but now the engine doesn't start :eek::eek:
Do you guys have experienced this before? Do you reckon this is happening because the egr is not closing properly and therefore sending cold exhaust gases which doesn't help when the engine is cold.
I already ordered a new EGR from ebay, hopefully this would be enough...

Appreciate any feedback from you guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
check you haven't disconnected anything else, also check your spill off pipes aren't leaking (rubber hose between injectors)
try pulling the spill off pipe off one injector, let the fuel bubble back, stick the spill off back on
key in, turn to ON (but not start yet...)
wait, let it gurgle (auto re prime), turn to lock, back to on, if it doesn't gurgle again, turn to start and give the throttle a blip...see if it fires...

other thing to do, blank the egr (tin can cut to shape would do) and leave it unplugged therefore the car can't try to open or close it (Car still regens when its unplugged but not when there is an open/close fault

#3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I will give it a try.
Bought a new EGR and also some egr blanking plates just in case...
the only thing I touched, as far as I'm concerned was clean the egr, and the MAF. EGR is broken, that I know of, from the looks of it, the valve is always open. Connected the ODB cable and it only complains about the EGR P0400.
Hopefully fingers crossed it will be fixed with a new egr..

#4 ·
Hi guys,

In conversation with a friend I realized there was something I should have mentioned, so basically I also cleaned the MAF filter on the same day with a MAF filter spray.
The car never complained about the MAF filter, and I can't see any error related with the MAF, just the one mentioned earlier EGR related.
Would a faulty MAF prevent the car from start?

Thanks.

#5 ·
Hi all,

A bit of an update.
EGR replaced as well as a new battery (previous had run flat), and the car runs aright, no performance issues at all.
but.... the EML is still going off complaining about the P0400... Don't know what else could it be.
Do you guys have any ideas? could a faulty MAP sensor cause this sort of alerts, even though the car is running alright?

Thanks.

#6 ·
There are half a dozen or more sub codes to P0400 XX all indicate gas flow or wiring problems.
You really need a Tech2 to get the specific code.
Check the electrical connection to and from the EGR especially if the plastic yellow tab has broken -use a couple of cable ties to get a better connection.
Check your MAF pipework for any leaks(as you have had it apart)
If you havent done it already take out the MAP sensor on the inlet manifold and give it a good clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.