My 2005 9-3 1.9 TiD Vector Sport
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2005 9-3 1.9 TiD Vector Sport

Saabisti

My 2005 9-3 1.9 TiD Vector Sport

Just recently bought this. As some of you will know its come with a few issues, I won't list them because it depresses me

I'm determined to make this perfect

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado

Re: My 2005 9-3 1.9 TiD Vector Sport

Reasonable looking car for a ten year old and black too, my favourite colour. I've owned black cars since the mid 90's, won't have any other colour.

Scottish registered I see, Glasgow area, made it's way down to Essex. I'm wondering if it was originally supplied by Western Saab, Glasgow. Might be interesting to see if they did supply it and if they have any registered history for it. http://www.easternwestern.co.uk/saab/

If you do decide to get it into Chelmsford Saab, it'd be nice to know what they find on Tech, hopefully not too many issues. I hope you sort things.

Saabisti

Cheers caddyman. I'll keep my posts updated with any findings.

I have owned many cars, none of them black but always wanted a black car. Now I have one, just needs a bit of sorting out. Bodywork and interior are very good for the age. Just ordered another heater control as I was looking to change the faded buttons, £70 for the buttons or £48 for the control unit in superb condition. I get new heated seat switches too so I can rule the switch out if they still don't work.

Very nice car pandp , and Black I think is the Brest Colour . and your lucky you have the heated seat option . that's the only thing with mine with the leather seats my back side is very cold at the moment .
    At least caddyman was very helpful finding you a garage local to you that dose saabs .get it in there and they will! Be able to sort it out .

Saab Afficionado

Yeah, heated seats, chuffed to bits I have them in mine, especially on freezing cold mornings! That leather can get blinking cold lol!

As for the Saab garage, yes, hopefully they're a good lot and will help sort any issues. My work colleague whose ECU was recently replaced, had been putting up with niggly electrical problems for months until the car just died. With little hope of wondering how he was going to sort it, he did seriously consider scrapping the car. I pointed him to a Saab independent just a few miles from where he lives, which like you pandp, he had no idea was so close to him. The car was sorted and back on the road within 48 hours, recon ECU, all electrics sorted and car runs sweet. It cost him £400, but a damn sight cheaper than buying a replacement car. It's amazing what taking the car to a Saab Master Technician with a proper interest in what they do and the expertise to match, can achieve over taking it to garage with limited knowledge and non specific tech equipment. I'm not saying all other garages/mechanics don't know what they're doing, I'm just saying when you're trying to figure out umpteen different makes of car on a daily basis, the likelihood is, the mechanic will neither have the time or the relevant knowledge to deal with specific marque problems.

I look forward to the updates!

Saabisti

I'd be happier if the seats worked lizzard, another problem to sort.

Cheers for all the help guys. I got a call back from my local garage today as I was awaiting a price for cambelt, water pump, thermostat etc. Been quoted £385 which I think is reasonable. At least it will put my mind at rest with regards to the cambelt.

Saabisti

Okay I'm trying to remain positive. On my way home just now I glanced at the speedo showing 90mph but I was barely doing 50. Stationary my speedo shows 30 mph so not only has my rev counter gone off the scale, the speedo has decided to join it. What next?

Saab Afficionado

pandp, I think you know what I'm going to say mate, get into the Saab tech in Chelmsford and get a proper Tech 2 diagnosis, otherwise you'll be chasing your own ass.

Saabisti

All booked in mate. Earliest I could do was next Saturday. Only need to use the car Wednesday to get the cambelt done.

Well to try to make you feel better since I brought the car in November . booed it in for MOT . it failed on 1 spring broken . 1 antirol bar link shot . 1 steering rack end . so had the whole front suspension replaced to keep things equal .
    Then the temperature gauge started to go into the red and stay there !.even with car turned off ( like yours ) .
    And now when I first start the car from cold there's a "cracking " sound from around the alternator aera .( so now I either require a new alternator or the tensioner ) .
    So at the mo , I'm begging to wonder " what next " .
    But I know that if I were to give up and sell ,I would not achieve a good return . and if I were to buy something else I could be buying a whole heap of truble .
    I know what's wrong and with a bit of money it will be put right .and it will go on for years .
    And also annoying is the fact that I can look past its faults , and it is a mighty fine car .
    So don't dispair .

Saabisti

I'm the same as you lizzard, I'm determined in sorting this rather than putting money into another car that could be just as problematic. Like you I'll sort it. It's booked in for the cambelt etc on Wednesday, Saturday diagnostics and to discuss the egr. Been reading up on this and quite a lot of companies that offer mapping also offer the service to delete the egr. The Saab guys will be best to discuss this with and I'll make my mind up then.

On the plus side, I have my new heater unit, to fit tomorrow. I have fitted my new Saab boot badge and sport badge and I have also fitted my new mirror switch so I can now adjust my mirrors. Also my obd2 scanner arrived so new toy. It's still going in to Saab regardless on Saturday.

Saabisti

Just a small update. Fitted my new heater control unit, looks much better than the other. Connected my obd2 scanner and I got two stored issues, one was the egr which I knew was on there and the other was glow plug circuit a. Before I bought the Saab the previous owner had to have the glow plug relay replaced so that's probably that error. I disconnected my negative lead whilst I investigated the egr and after connecting it back, all my dials have returned to normal, very happy. The first thing I noticed with the egr is the connector, whoever disconnected it failed to see how you remove the plug and its been ripped out, means it does not click into place but seems to hold. Is it possible to buy a new plug for the egr?

Saab Afficionado

Gladd you're having a better day! Concerning the EGR plug, I'm assuming you're talking about the part that actually plugs into the EGR......mmmm, if it's that damaged, it might need a new plug end fitting and I'm not sure how difficult that is. Your visit to the Saab garage next week, well they'll undoubtedly let you know if it can be sorted easily or not.

As for your booked visit to the Saab garage next Saturday, I realise you've disconnected the negative lead and all seems 'normal' at the moment, but it would still be good to know how things are going on 'deeper' if you will. The code reader you bought will only read certain stuff anyway, whereas Tech 2 will give a much clearer indication of how things are. It could be too that there might be software updates that need applying to your car that haven't been done before and the Saab Tech will be able to do that for you if needed. Let us know how it goes.

Saabisti

Still going mate as I want their views on the egr and to see if the plug is replaceable. Cambelt will be done before then so that will put my mind at rest too.

As for the dials going wiggly on you . I don't know if I told you to do that in your first post or not . but when my temperature gauge goes off the scale I just disconnect battery and hay presto all back to normal . I know what mine requires ( a dash panel ) but for 5 minutes work and a 10 mm spanner . it soon rights its self .

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast